Star Sanitizer storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thawk86CO

Reaction score
I just purchased some star San and I noticed it is a 5gallon preparation. Can I prepare 5 gallons of the solution fill up a spray bottle then store the rest away in my garage for later usage? How long will it keep before it is unusable?

I just purchased some star San and I noticed it is a 5gallon preparation. Can I prepare 5 gallons of the solution fill up a spray bottle then store the rest away in my garage for later usage? How long will it keep before it is unusable?

HECK YEAH!! I read somewhere that the CEO of the company that makes it actually recommended doing that. and its exactly what i do and have had ZERO problems.

I get a bucket with a lid and make it 5 gal at a time. I have kept it for 4 months before but usually change it out every 2 or 3 just to be safe. The spray bottle sits until i refil the bucket then it gets refilled as well. :mug:

If you use DI water to prepare your Star San it will keep for a pretty long time. I keep mine in a sealed bucket and usually will use a 5 gallon batch for 2-3 months. Over time the batch will get little hairs, fibers, etc. in it from having equipment and bottles dunked in it. I always make a new batch when I start noticing them.

I mix up 1 gallon at a time. Fill the little measuring cube on the Starsan bottle 3/4's of the way up to the 1/4oz mark. Dump it into a gallon of distilled water & allow to settle into the water. It keeps for as many uses as possible before pet hair & other things start showing up.

I keep a 5 gallon water bottle. I will use it to fill my spray bottle. When it gets low I add another 2 gallons using 2/5 the amount of Starsan as you would for 5 gallons to top it up. The 5 gallon bottle never goes empty. I have pH strips to check the acidity every once in a while.

There's a guy on youtube that did an experiment. He filled a capped carboy, uncapped carboy, and a bucket with starsan. He let them set for six weeks and tested them with litmus paper each week to determine their acidity levels and potential for sanitizing. They all passed the test.

I guess-timated making a spray bottle's worth the first time. I usually make a gallon or so at bottling time (eye balling it) for using the Vinator and rinsing the bottle caps. The remainder I try to empty into the spray bottle, keeping it fresh. There's really no need to make 5 gals at a time, unless you really need it. I've also read that you should dispose of Star San when the pH gets below a certain point. You'll have to do a search to find out what that level is. Cheers.

I calculated out 1 oz. (US) => 5 gal (US) gives me 0.71 ml => 16 oz. (Imp) to mix it in my spray bottle. I use a syringe to measure.

Then I bought a 32 oz. (Imp) spray bottle, just doubled the dose to 1.4 ml. One of these is perfect for the Vinator.

I just mix as I go in small quantities.

Last edited:
There's a guy on youtube that did an experiment. He filled a capped carboy, uncapped carboy, and a bucket with starsan. He let them set for six weeks and tested them with litmus paper each week to determine their acidity levels and potential for sanitizing. They all passed the test.

Craigtube did a test like this in a video once. Even the cloudy older batch was the same PH as the newer one.

Back