Star San?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmerz

Reaction score
If I mix up a gallon of Star San, how long is that Good for?

I was going to put some in a spray bottle but it might sit in there for weeks or months?

It stays good for quite a while. If you poke around you can find information of people who have done testing. It uses pH to sanitize, so as long as the Ph stays stable it should still work.

I personally replenish after 3 months or so.

Use distilled water for longest life.

Yes! With distilled water you will be good for MONTHS AND MONTHS, I mean that is depending on how many times you use it and dilute it with the rinse water in what ever your sanitizing. Keep it below 3 PH and its good!

I personally make a batch of Star San and label it with my beer name and use it till my beer is packaged. Once packaged I toss it (minus a spray bottle full) and wait till I make another batch of beer. I LOVE THE STUFF!

Cheers
Jay

After 5 years I am still using my original mix of Starsan.

;)Kind of...;)
I have a 5 gallon water bottle and when it gets below about 1.5 gallons I add another gallon. I have pH strips and check it periodically. I have never used it all or dumped any of it.

After 5 years I am still using my original mix of Starsan.

;)Kind of...;)
I have a 5 gallon water bottle and when it gets below about 1.5 gallons I add another gallon. I have pH strips and check it periodically. I have never used it all or dumped any of it.

You sound like the type of guy who needs a sour dough starter pet.

The life of my beer depends on star san today and it's magical powers, in other words my ball valve got clogged when transferring my chilled wort and I probably put 6 different sanitized things in the wort before solving the problem. Nothing usually touches my beer cold side except the ball valve and of course the sanitized fermentor. I feel like I might get an infection even tho everything was sanitized.

How many people have Star-San'd their arm in order to reach into their bucket fermenter to retrieve the air lock grommet? Be honest, lol!

Not to get a grommet but when I am sanitizing bottles I am up to my elbow in it usually... last 5 gallon batch of star san made 3 batches of beer before it started to look kind of gross on the bottom of the bucket...

How many people have Star-San'd their arm in order to reach into their bucket fermenter to retrieve the air lock grommet? Be honest, lol!

Someone one told me that the slime you feel with Oxyclean was not the soap but rather your skin cells shedding. I haven't verified this, but I now wear those long yellow kitchen gloves :)

Back