Star-San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
After cleaning your carboy or keg and sanitizing do you leave the sanitized solution in your carboy/keg til the next brew or do you dump it let it dry and cover til the next time you use the container ?

I only sanitize on brew day. Other than that I just make sure its nice and clean before going into storage.

Clean after use; sanitize before use.

Yes, that's what I do, generally speaking, but since I don't have a closed container large enough to hold all my stuff I also do a quick clean before sanitize on brew day just to knock off any dust or whatever that may have settled.

I wash yeast and rough clean my carboys on kegging day.
Sometime before the next brew day, I clean/sanitize. After, I put foil over the top, crimp it as tight as possible, put a rubber band on it to hold the foil, then store inverted. Any remaining starsan sits in the crack between foil and the carboy neck, preserving sanitation.
(at least this is my "plan A" :)

NewBrewB said:
I wash yeast and rough clean my carboys on kegging day.
Sometime before the next brew day, I clean/sanitize. After, I put foil over the top, crimp it as tight as possible, put a rubber band on it to hold the foil, then store inverted. Any remaining starsan sits in the crack between foil and the carboy neck, preserving sanitation.
(at least this is my "plan A" :)

I like your plan A... i usually clean after use then sanitize and leave the starsan in it with the carboy top on it to cover from anything coming in but i guess i will start draining and placing it in carboy dryer but covering the intake

Back