star san warning on bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jourelemode

Reaction score
how come the star san bottle says hazards to humans and domestic animasl. casuses eye damage or skin brns, harmful if swallowed or absorbed through skin or inhaled???? i thought this stuff was a no rinse application??? maybe they're stating this if its not in its diluted form, am I right with that? when its diluted it won't cause those? thanks

jourelemode,

You are exactly right. The warning is prescribed to a non-diluted form. Now, I wouldn't go crazy with shooting it straight into your eyes or feeding it to your dog, but otherwise you should be ok. Do not fear the foam!

thanks! is it cool to leave it in my fermenting bucket for a couple of days? I need to make a starter later and I need to sanitize stuff for that...I don't wanna make a 5gallon starsan mix and then just get rid of it and make another 5 gallon on brew day 2-3 days later...

Sure, I leave mine in buckets for several weeks. I used to always make up a fresh batch for each brew day. But now I recycle it and a 16oz bottle lasts months.

I rarely mix up more than 32oz at a time, and I generally only use it in a spray bottle and that is sufficient for all of the sanitation I need to do. At that scale, you need only 2-3ml to 32oz of water for proper dilution and like CB says, it lasts months in the spray bottle... especially if you use distilled water.

Star San is pretty expensive, at least to me. I'll usually have a 5 or 10g bucket somewhere in my basement to leave parts in and I'll change it out after a few weeks, depending on how much stuff gets thrown in there.

I ALWAYS have a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol (99%) handy. I use this throughout the brewing process and any other time I need something immediately sanitized. A liter of the stuff is about $2 at CVS and kills everything on site.

Warning labels are often written with oversight by lawyers to cover their a$$e$, or is it a$$et$? ;) People are essentially stupid...and Lawyers are smart enough to cover their clients ass with warnings.....like warning on cruise controls in campers, not to engage them, and get up and go to the bathroom...or other fun things like these...The Darwin Awards

But if you actually listened to the i-view with Chuck Talley the inventor of Starsan, and hear him describe the goals he set forth in making it,and how to use it effectively,AND how practical and more effective ways of using it differ somewhat with what they have to put on the lables.
March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

You'll find a lot of good info/tips to effective sanitization here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/ in cluding how you should get rid of your dry powdered "pseudo sanitizers" in favor of the afore mentioned, no-rinse, wet contact sanitizers like starsan and iodophor.

As someone who has sprayed diluted star san in his eyes, I can attest to the fact that while it may not be pleasant, it won't blind you. (always pressure check your poppets before filling the keg with liquid)

I also drank it (diluted star san) once to prove to a buddy that a few drops left in the keg won't kill him. (sour, but not completely unpleasant)

I also drank it once to prove to a buddy that a few drops left in the keg won't kill him. (sour, but not completely unpleasant)

It is mainly phospohric acid (I think) and beverage companies use phos acid instead of citric acid (because it's cheaper to make) to give that tang to soda (like coke). Don't know about that other one in there with the long name though :cross:

Back