Star San question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
I've only been brewing a few months and have a question about the star san. I have a big Tupperware tub that I have 6 or 7 gallons of stars san in. I will usually let all of my bottling equipment and auto siphon etc soak in there. Sometimes days and sometimes minutes. How often should I replace with a new mixture?

This topic has seen some debate...

You can't know for sure unless you test for pH (should be below 3.5).

Don't listen to people telling you that once it's cloudy it's not good anymore. It's just the bacteria-killing chemical coming out of solution.

Replace the solution when the pH rises above 3.2 or some gunk gets in there. I keep Starsan solution in one gallon jugs and a spray bottle for quick use.

I never submerge equipment or bottles. Something like an auto siphon will have the sanitizer pumped through it and the outside sprayed while it is in a 5 gallon bucket.

I had a funnel that was left in the Starsan solution for a couple of days. The base of the funnel showed the signs of decay.

Two minute contact time is more than sufficient for sanitizing.

If you mix it with distilled water it will last for months. It only makes it mixed with my tap for a few days. I never soak either. Put it in a spray bottle and if you bottle, get a Vinator.

As long as the ph is good, it can last a long time.

I mix mine with distilled water and keep it in a 5g glass carboy.

See?!!! Secondary vessels do have a legitimate purpose!!!

Thanks for the responses. I think it'll be fine for a while. I do have a vinator. I don't know how or why anyone would bottle without one!

Back