Star San Oil Slick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sluggo

Reaction score
This is my first time using Star San instead of iodophor so here comes my noob question. I've read all the recent responses that leaving somoe foam or a little of the diluted solution in the primary/secondary/keg is OK. That's good because I had a buttload of foam left in it after shaking the hell out of it. By the time I racked to the secondary most of the foam was gne, but now I have a nice little oil slick floating on my beer. Is this normal or did I not dilute it enough?

Sluggo said:
This is my first time using Star San instead of iodophor so here comes my noob question. I've read all the recent responses that leaving somoe foam or a little of the diluted solution in the primary/secondary/keg is OK. That's good because I had a buttload of foam left in it after shaking the hell out of it. By the time I racked to the secondary most of the foam was gne, but now I have a nice little oil slick floating on my beer. Is this normal or did I not dilute it enough?

Don't listen to them....your batch is ruined, it's best that you send it to me for PROPER disposal:D

THere's a great interview with charlie tally the inventor of starsan on basic brewing radio.
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

Scroll down to the March 29, 2007 episode.

:off: But...

Now that I've finally accepted the idea of not rinsing star san off, and just racking on the foam, I really like the idea.

The best part is as you rack into the carboy, the foam floats on the surface, and my racking set up fills the carboy slow enough that the foam is in contact with the same part of the carboy for more than 30 sec. Hence, anything that might have floated into the carboy after dumping the star san, is being sanitized as the foam floats to the top. Not to mention, this layer of foam is protecting my brew from contact with the air while the carboy is filling.:)

Here is a reply I gave when someone asked about PBW. There is a lot of info to be learned about Star San in this broadcast also.

TWilson said:
Here is a link for the Sunday Session on the Brewing Network. The 3/19/06 show had Charlie Talley from 5 Star. This might give you some more info on PBW.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/sundayarchive.php?start_from=60&ucat=&archive=&subaction=&id=&

Sunday Live Show 03-19-06 20 Mar 2006 Justin
Sunday Live Show 03-19-06 mp3 format

Our first official sanitation show. We are joined by Charlie Talley, one of the founders of Five Star Chemical Company. Charlie tells us all the do's and dont's of Star San, Saniclean, Iodiphor and PBW. It's an all around great discussion that dispels many of the myths around sanitizers, and answers many of the questions homebrewers have regarding sanitizing chemicals.

Reverend JC said:
dont fear the foam!

RDWHAHB

Oh I didn't fear the foam, I actually tried to get it to go all the way up the racking tube but didn't quite make it. I was concerned about the oil slick. Thanks for the replies.

Back