Star-San + Iodophor Double Whammy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackAlleyBrewingCo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday I decided to soak all of my equipment in sanitizer, so I made up 10 gallons of Star-San using tap water. In the past I've used distilled water for the mix, so I wasn't expecting what happened next - the solution turned cloudy almost immediately. I guess my water is harder than I thought. Anyway, I did a little research and found that Iodine works best in a low pH environment, so I reasoned that using the 10 gallons of cloudy Star-San would be okay as the basis of a normal-strength solution of Iodophor. When I added the Iodophor I got the expected yellow/amber tinted water, but in addition it turned crystal clear. I suspect/hope that the cloudiness dissipated because the Iodophor lowered the pH of the water back into Star-San's effective range.

My question is, did I make:
1. A double-strength sanitizer with the 1-2 punch of Star-San and Iodophor. You're a genius! :rockin:
2. Regular strength Iodophor - the Star-San died when it turned cloudy and there's no bringing it back. Nice try, though. :cool:
3. Yellow water - mixing Star-San and Iodophor kills the effectiveness of both, you dummy! :confused:
D. Bud Light. :eek:

Thanks,

TD

Stick to one or the other. The cheapest is bulk iodine you can find at some food service stores. As the saying goes....If its red (the iodine/water solution), its dead (nasties)

I'm no chemist, but I can't imagine you would gain significant benefit from mixing both. I'm not sure anything bad will come of the combo, but surely nothing good will. They are both very good sanitizers on their own anyways.

Stick to one or the other. The cheapest is bulk iodine you can find at some food service stores. As the saying goes....If its red (the iodine/water solution), its dead (nasties)

I'm no chemist, but I can't imagine you would gain significant benefit from mixing both. I'm not sure anything bad will come of the combo, but surely nothing good will. They are both very good sanitizers on their own anyways.

Fair enough. As I said, I usually use Star-San + distilled. I just hated the idea of dumping 10 gal of cloudy acid water and wanted some feedback on whether using it for an Iodophor solution would be effective. Plus I got to practice with the smilies. ;)

Back