Quantcast

Star San - foam / ingestion

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

foojoo

Reaction score
Hello,

I noticed that most people on here recommend adding their beverage to the bottles while they are still wet / foamy with Star San. I was wondering if doing so may be problematic. The label clearly states to let air dry.

Is ingestion of a little bit of diluted Star San mixture / foam in our beverages harmful?

stratslinger

Reaction score
Not harmful at all. The folks suggesting that you do not air dry are getting that suggestion either directly or indirectly from the maker of StarSan - he was on a podcast at some point and indicated that for brewing use you should actually use StarSan wet, rather than allowing the sanitized item to air dry as indicated on the label.

Why they don't ammend the dang label is a mystery to me...

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This podcast has been posted every time this question comes up, it's all over the place on here, in fact a transcript of it is even stickied at the top of the equipment/sanitiation section of the forum.

March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3
At dilute concentrations, it mostly dissociates, freeing phosphate for yeast to use. Yeast nutrient that you buy in the store is primarily nitrogen compounds and phosphates- the breakdown products of StarSan are phosphates.....they're also the same products we consume daily in many products. If you're drinking Colas, you're drinking starsan

F250

Reaction score
This podcast has been posted every time this question comes up, it's all over the place on here, in fact a transcript of it is even stickied at the top of the equipment/sanitiation section of the forum.

At dilute concentrations, it mostly dissociates, freeing phosphate for yeast to use. Yeast nutrient that you buy in the store is primarily nitrogen compounds and phosphates- the breakdown products of StarSan are phosphates.....they're also the same products we consume daily in many products. If you're drinking Colas, you're drinking starsan
That was awesome. I'm the type that things can't really be too clean, I'd rather spend the time cleaning and sanitizing than dumping or dealing with an infected brew.

Rick

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
Most of the foam gets pushed out when you fill the bottles anyways, but as stated no its not bad.

Nuggethead

Reaction score
Bottles always overflow anyway. Don't sweat the foam and make sure your bottles are still wet when filled.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
I read that the foam is actually healthy for the yeast.

F250

Reaction score
I read that the foam is actually healthy for the yeast.
Yep once the sanitized has been further thinned by the wort the yeast can use the phosphorous as food. Heard that straight from the man who developed Star San.

Rick