Star San Disposal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B&RBrews

Reaction score
I was just wondering what you guys do to dispose of your Star San when you're done. Do you pour it down the sink (sounds like a bad idea) or do something else to dispose of it? I even thought about adding some baking soda to raise the pH closer to neutral or something and then dumping it. I tried a search, but couldn't seem to find any other threads that talked about this. I know Star San is a large part phosphoric acid, and ironically enough my state (Washington) is seeking to phase out dish detergents that contain any phosphate ions (which then I guess wouldn't really matter if I neutralized it anyhow). So dumping it sounds like a poor plan, what am I to do?

I drink mine, hopefully plumbing pipes are tougher than my esophagus. :cross:

It's fine to dump anywhere, actually. You can dump it in the yard and it'll be fine. I *think* there's problems with dumping it into septic systems, but I'm not 100% on that. Regular plumbing it's fine. I don't have a yard so I pour it down the drain.

Are you saving it in a bucket and lid, or are you making new batches of starsan every time you need it? Starsan is reusable until the water turns cloudy and stops foaming.

I couldn't find anything on the 5star website quickly, but Northernbrewer says:

"Star San is environmentally friendly, biodegradable, and will not harm septic systems"

Personally, I never mix up enough to need to dump it.

Star San has an amazing shelf life, even in solution. And given that everything is clean (or should be) before it gets sanitized, then there really isn't much of a soil load to alter the solution.

The spray bottle is my friend in the brewery.

The one time I had to remix my solution because the pH was out of spec, I still didn't dump the old to make up the new. I simply just re-"sweetened" the old solution.

Figure out how to mix up a one gallon solution. And then figure out how to make it stretch without completely submerging everything (spray bottle) and you quickly find that a single 32oz bottle of concentrate will last you forever.

If I recall correctly, it actually is GOOD for septic systems...

That is correct. According to Charlie Talley, the bugs in the septic system will eat the constituents of StarSan up and be happy.

+1 on the spray bottle, almost as an important element in my brew room as the bottle opener. :D

I mix up 5 gallons of Star San solution at at time and use it for a month or two before dumping it down the drain. I do not recommend dumping it in the yard as I've killed grass with Star San before.

Every once in a while I'll mix up a fresh batch and pour it down the drains in the bath tubs and bathroom sinks. It helps keep them "fresh". I've sanitized a few door knobs and toilet seats with it as well.

Right down the drain is where I prefer to put it. I've killed the grass with it, also. Yeast/trub cakes, however, are fantastic yard fertilizer.

you have to wait until the StarSan is cloudy in appearance before you feed it to the grass. The lower pH will problably kill grass but wait until it's cloudy and it's like Miracle Grow. Also someone mentioned the phosphoric acid, according to the creator of StarSan, this product has the same concentration of phosphoric as coke or pepsi.

Wait you aren't supposed to leave it in with the wort?? Oh man.

Nah, Ive been tossing mine down the drain. I rent at the moment so Im not so worried about plumbing.

I mix mine up five gallons at a time, put it into a spare corny, and then I push it from one keg to another as I need to sanitize a keg for use. All I have to do at that point is transfer some from the keg to a spray bottle, as needed, and I am good to go.

I can tell you two things NOT to do with Starsan.

1. Don't use a fine mist setting on a spray bottle and then inhale.

2. don't let it sit directly in your tub for 4 days straight. Did any of you know that the chrome ring around the drain is brass underneath? :drunk:

Listen to the Basic Brewing podcast I-view with Chuck Talley....I believe he say it becomes food for the septic bacteria.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

It is good for septic systems as it adds phosphorus. It can also be good for your lawn, I would suggest brining it up to neutral pH and then spraying over your lawn. It helps develop the root system.

I just pour mine out on the driveway. It breaks down rather quickly when in the open air and sunlight and by the time you're ready to dump it it's lost most of its sanitizing properties anyway.

The 5 Star stuff has all kinds of uses. Aside from starsan, PBW is good to add to your white laundry.

Listen to the Basic Brewing podcast I-view with Chuck Talley....I believe he say it becomes food for the septic bacteria.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

correct. it breaks down into nutrients the septic 'bacteria' can use.

the same way it breaks down into stuff yeast can eat.

honestly star san is safer for the environment than laundry soap, dish soap, fabric softner, Comet, Soft Scrub, even body soap.

YOU CAN DRINK STAR SAN. Can't do that with the above unless you have the poison control center on speed dial.

Back