Star san consistency of maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyrmwood

Reaction score
I recently picked up some star san from the lhbs and it's consistency is like maple syrup. I imagine the warehouse was not heated and it was frozen at some point, but I expected it to soften up when stored at room temp, but a month later and it's still like honey. I've been using it but wondered it might reduce it's efficacy?

You're supposed to dillute it....it should have instructions on the bottle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Home Brew mobile app

Yeah I would say at full concentration, mine is a tad like maple syrup but not at all like honey. It shouldn't be difficult to pour... is it for you?

Yeah I would say at full concentration, mine is a tad like maple syrup but not at all like honey. It shouldn't be difficult to pour... is it for you?

Yeah, it is normally a bit viscous, but not like this. This is really thick and sticks together in a clump when I pour it into a vessel, but it seems to behave normally once I add the appropriate amount of water. It is hard to get it through the fill tube to the built in measuring cup. I thought it was a defect in the container at first, until I saw how thick it was.

I would say this is more like honey that typical store bought syrup (The maple syrup I've been buying for the last couple of years is similar in consistency to honey, though a tad thinner).

Back