Star Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangj

Reaction score
S64468.JPG

Has anyone used this type of stir bar? If so how well dose it work?

I've used them in the lab. I can't give you real knowledgeable info for yeast culture use, but, these are more suited to an agitating, high speed mix as opposed to a gentle stir. I don't know how sturdy yeast are, but that kind of mix would be avoided in some of my applications due to damaging the particles being mixed.

Edit:Boy, the lab rats are synchronized today!

I have used these before but nor for brewing. I used them ( I am a chemist ) in beakers to dissolve a variety of solids without problem. I think the issue is to get one thats long enough to not just pull a cyclone down in the center. You have to balance this with the ability to get it out of the neck of a flast or container.

Germey said:
I've used them in the lab. I can't give you real knowledgeable info for yeast culture use, but, these are more suited to an agitating, high speed mix as opposed to a gentle stir. I don't know how sturdy yeast are, but that kind of mix would be avoided in some of my applications due to damaging the particles being mixed.

Are you saying it would be bad idea to use this bar with yeast?

Mustangj said:
Are you saying it would be bad idea to use this bar with yeast?
No, I'm saying I don't know. Hopefully a yeast expert will chime in here, but, if I had to guess, I would say it will work fine.

Anybody use the triangular one?

"This unique bar is designed to lift up sediment at the bottom of a vessel and mix it into a solution for through dispersion. Best used with viscous solutions."

2Tri.jpg

raceskier said:
Anybody use the triangular one?

"This unique bar is designed to lift up sediment at the bottom of a vessel and mix it into a solution for through dispersion. Best used with viscous solutions."

I have not used this for a yeast starter but have used it in the lab and it works great. It is odd that I don't make too many starters at home , but I've been banging out IPAs with US -05 dry. I have a I have a hot plate / magnetic stirrer combo at home and really should use it for a starter.

Personally I would try it but can't recommend it to you as I havent tried it myself.

Dr Vorlauf said:
I have not used this for a yeast starter but have used it in the lab and it works great. It is odd that I don't make too many starters at home , but I've been banging out IPAs with US -05 dry. I have a I have a hot plate / magnetic stirrer combo at home and really should use it for a starter.

I've thought about buying a hot plate / magnetic stirrer used from ebay for a long time. Besides using it just to stir yeast, I want to be able to use it in my darkroom to mix solutions, some of which require heating. Volumes up to two liters.

Having never seen any laboratory hot plate / stirrers in person, I have no idea which brands might be best, or at least which to avoid. Can you recommend based on your experience?

Mine is an older model. Have no idea of the type its been in a box somewhere in my basement since my last move. I don't think there is any rocket science in these. Probably get yourself a cheap one made in China on eBay ( Fischer Scientific and the others probably just private label the Chinese made plates anyways.

If I get a chance I will look for the ole war horse tomorrow. Actually I hoipe it is here and not in the barn at the other house. Make sure you get one with a big enough heating surface to hold your flask.

I use triangular stirrers at work, in waste water that isn't that much less viscous than yeast. They seem to work well, but, I am not trying to grow anything. I will try them out at the end of the month with a starter and report back.

(pre-treatment waste water of course, not what goes to sewer.)

Ok, thanks. If you find it, I'd like to know.

Onlinesciencmall on ebay or their web site sells 4.5 x 4.5 inch hot plate stirrers that can handle 2 liters for $159, and 7 x 7 inch units that'll handle 20 pounds of liquid for $260. The smaller one would probably do, but I am still hoping for something in the 7x7 class used for under $200.

Curious to see brewers experience with these stir bars. You here allot of DIY stir plate projects having issues with the stir bar being thrown. I think a more symmetrical bar would be less apt to do so.
Nice to see a review placed on HBT review section

Cheers
BeerCanuck

BeerCanuck said:
Curious to see brewers experience with these stir bars. You here allot of DIY stir plate projects having issues with the stir bar being thrown. I think a more symmetrical bar would be less apt to do so.
Nice to see a review placed on HBT review section

Cheers
BeerCanuck

I never seen that. Has that been there the hole time?

Back