Standard Extract Amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
Just curious...I haven't devised too many recipes yet, but to be sure I have somewhat of a grasp on this...

What is a general minimum amount of extract (DME and LME) that one should have in a recipe. I realize this changes by style, but is there a general amount you should have at least? (Specialty grains aside.) For instance, a wheat beer I was devising uses 3.3# Pale LME and 2# wheat DME. Is that enough fermentables for a decent brew?

Yes. For a 5 gallon batch. You can also throw in some other type of fermentable, around a pound or so. 5 lbs of fermentables in a 5 gallon batch will definately be good enough for a good buzz. So will 6 or 7 or 8 lbs. :D

When I was doing DME batches (AG now) most my recipes were 6#. A couple were at 5.5 and one at 4. The latter was like 3.2 beer. I'd keep it at 6# for your normal brew with a bit of kick.

Visited a buddies house a couple weeks ago in LA and I had some of his Imperial Stout aged 4 years. He told me it was a 14# dark dme recipe along with 2# of maple syrup. 1 22oz bottle between 3 guys was plenty for that recipe :eek: Interesting beer but I won't be making one to that level! I don't have that kind of patience...

14lb ? I'll bet the hydrometer fell over on top of the sample ! What is the measurement when you just kinda stick it in the surface ? I'd guess that 3.3lb with a can of extract mix would be the dead minimum. Less than that is just flavored water. Makes you pee, but doesn't give you a buzz. 14lb, Jesus!
Can't decide whether the ingredients or the patience to let it age 4 years is more impressive. :eek:

Dumbfounded Monkey

Guess there were bottles tried at 6m, 1yr etc. He said it was still rough at 2-3yrs but I happened to be around at the 4yr mark. It was heavy but was pretty good. He and his buddy thought it was finally ready ;) . He has 3 frigerators in his garage. kegs in one, lager setup and aging bottled beer/mead in the 3rd. Conical fermenter. His garage is pretty much a brewery. Not married of course.

sudsmonkey said:
14lb ? I'll bet the hydrometer fell over on top of the sample ! What is the measurement when you just kinda stick it in the surface ? I'd guess that 3.3lb with a can of extract mix would be the dead minimum. Less than that is just flavored water. Makes you pee, but doesn't give you a buzz. 14lb, Jesus!
Can't decide whether the ingredients or the patience to let it age 4 years is more impressive.
Here's a recipe that uses 17#'s that won't require as much patience.

Wild

Man, that is a huge brew, Wild! But I don't understand the need to rack the beer every 10 days over a two month period? Why not just let it age in your secondary for two months?

That is one more scary brew ! Don't think I could trust myself with that one. I usually drink alone . I'm afraid it'd either make me want to fight or breed. Both are scary when you're alone. :eek:

Rhoobarb said:
But I don't understand the need to rack the beer every 10 days over a two month period? Why not just let it age in your secondary for two months?
Most likely its due to sediment. I've seen some 5-gallon brews that were left to bulk ferment and only were able to rack off less than 3-gallons because of all the trub.

sudsmonkey said:
I'm afraid it'd either make me want to fight or breed. Both are scary when you're alone.
I liked that one.

Wild

sudsmonkey said:
That is one more scary brew ! Don't think I could trust myself with that one. I usually drink alone . I'm afraid it'd either make me want to fight or breed. Both are scary when you're alone. :eek:
Well, I'm a lover, not a fighter, so I'm watchin you real careful. :D

Back