Stalled fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
It looks like fermentation has stalled at 1. 012 when it should be 1.010 or below.
It also tastes a little sweet.
Been fermenting 12 days. I have risen the temp 2c
Should I throw in some more yeast?
Thanks

Final gravity is only an estimate and the taste now is not what it will be when carbonated. Give the beer a couple more days at perhaps warmer than the 2C. that you have planned. It's close enough to done now that no off flavors will come from the warmer temps.

The difference between 1.012 and 1.010 is probably irrelevant, what are you using to test and are you correcting for temperature etc? Sweetness could be a result of recipe or procedure, what was the recipe, yeast and fermentation temp? It's probably finished, needs a week to condition and then bottle or keg, it will be better when carbonated.

What they say! ^
Go 4C (22-24C) higher and give it a few more days, it also helps with conditioning. Adding more yeast won't do a thing, there's plenty of (active) yeast in your fermenter already.

You didn't secondary, did you?

What yeast did you use? What was the OG?

1.010 and 1.012 is a negligible difference in my opinion. But your hydrometer may be off by a point or two also. Have you checked it in distilled water at the calibration temperature? Also, if the temperature of your sample is higher than the calibration temperature of the hydrometer (mine are all 60F) it could be reading a point high.

The difference between 1.012 and 1.010 is probably irrelevant, what are you using to test and are you correcting for temperature etc? Sweetness could be a result of recipe or procedure, what was the recipe, yeast and fermentation temp? It's probably finished, needs a week to condition and then bottle or keg, it will be better when carbonated.

it was a beerworks sierra pale extract kit.
problem may have originated from pitching at too higher a temperature and a rapid gravity drop from 1.054 to 1.020 in 3 days.

1.010 and 1.012 is a negligible difference in my opinion. But your hydrometer may be off by a point or two also. Have you checked it in distilled water at the calibration temperature? Also, if the temperature of your sample is higher than the calibration temperature of the hydrometer (mine are all 60F) it could be reading a point high.
your right, my hydrometer is calibrated at 20c, it was warmer when I tested it just then.

no
What they say! ^
Go 4C (22-24C) higher and give it a few more days, it also helps with conditioning. Adding more yeast won't do a thing, there's plenty of (active) yeast in your fermenter already.

You didn't secondary, did you?

What yeast did you use? What was the OG?

no secondary and the yeast used was in the kit, 20g west coast ale yeast.
OG was 1.054 or a little less as this was tested higher than the 20c which is the hydrometer calibration temp

It looks like fermentation has stalled at 1. 012 when it should be 1.010 or below.
It also tastes a little sweet.
Been fermenting 12 days. I have risen the temp 2c
Should I throw in some more yeast?
Thanks
no, its almost done ,give it a couple more days

Yes, it may still drop a couple points since it's only been 12 days. But even if it finishes at 1.012, that's within the normal margin of error in my opinion, and reasonable for a pale ale. I don't think the high initial fermentation temperature would affect the final gravity.

Back