"Stalled" fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSweetBrews

Tim Trabold
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked and answered a hundred times, but I am going to ask it again.

I have 4 gallons of an Imperial Stout that had an OG of 1.082. It has been 12 days and it has been at 1.035 for 5 days. I used a 1.5 liter harvested Wyeast Belgain 1214 starter.

Should I consider it done enough and bottle (I need it for a contest in a month) or should I add some other yeast, like Pacman to try and get it a little lower. It's not very "Imperial" where it is at.

I would try to get it lower. At least down 10 points. Thats still pretty high and that beer is either gonna be A. very sweet or B. will drop those 10 points in the bottles, and then explode. You may get it to drop some by rousing the yeast, but I would probably pitch more if you're in a hurry

I've done this twice now and it's worked a treat on a few bigger beers.

Mix up 250ml sanitary water with a measured dose of Fermaid-K/Yeast Nutrient and pitch this into your beer and gently stir up the yeast or rock the fermenter.

If you don't see any change after 2-3 days, pitch a packet of rehydrated US-05. It shouldn't change the flavor profile of the beer too much as the bulk of the esters were created in those first .048 points and should dry it out/lower it a few points.

Recipe, process, temps? And what are you using to measure gravity with, if you are using a refractometer, did you correct the reading?

Pacman. S-05 are not going to do any better than 1214. You would need to use a more aggressive yeast, such as 3711.

Recipe, process, temps? And what are you using to measure gravity with, if you are using a refractometer, did you correct the reading?

Pacman. S-05 are going to do any better than 1214. You would need to use a more aggressive yeast, such as 3711.

The receipe is a little wacky. The beer is for a "Wort Transformation Challenge" contest. A local brewery, Nebraska Brewing Company, has a contest every year. You can buy up to two 5 gallon batches of a wort they make for the contest ($15 each). The contest is to transform it into something special, using the wort as at least 80% of the finish product. This year it was a Swartzsbier wort. I have split my 10 gallons into thirds now totaling 12 gallons. I'll pick the best two to turn in. I just added yeast to one third and it is being quick-lagered with Saflager 34/70. I re-mashed and re-boiled the other two thirds into other beers. One into a Barleywine and a the other a Belgian Strong. I reverse engineered the base wort and added additional grain to "convert" it into the two other beers. The Belgian Strong is the beer that has stalled. I fermented the Barleywine with Pacman Yeast and it is at 1.015 (from 1.094). The two ales fermented at 65 for 8 days then at 70 for so far, 3 days. I did jiggle the strong three days ago to stir it up, t didn't change or re-start. I am pretty sure they both done.

I used a hydrometer for all gravities.

I agree that it has probably already fermented enough that additional, different yeast shouldn't change the flavor. I have had good luck with PacMan yeast taking wort down pretty fast and I have a bunch of it harvested. I have some US05, but I actually don't really like it. I prefer S-04 (I have some of it harvested and could start some up). I think I may try it in a day or two. I need to get it down so I can add some whiskey soaked oak chips and bottle it by next weekend, so it will condition in time for the contest.

Pacman. S-05 are not going to do any better than 1214. You would need to use a more aggressive yeast, such as 3711.
Agreed about using a more aggressive yeast than used for initial fermentation. My mind just jumped to US-05 as its what I have a fridge full of for emergency usage.

That's a high gravity beer and your yeast may just be slowing down chewing through all of that. 12 days isn't a long time for something that high. I'd forget about it for s while. If you're in no rush (it's an imperial stout you shouldn't be any way) 2 more weeks before you repitch won't hurt.

I checked the gravity for the last three ways and it hasn't changed. I created a 500ml Pacman starter yesterday. This morning I transferred it into a secondary on top of the starter which was just past high kreusan and added the whiskey soaked oak chips.

I realize that it would be a lot better if I could just leave it alone for another 2 or 3 weeks, but I don't have that luxury. I would like to get it into bottles next weekend, so it has 3 weeks to carbonate then condition before I have to turn it in for the contest.

If push comes to shove, I guess I could wait until the last minute, keg it, carbonate the keg and bottle from the keg. But, I don't really want to hassle with putting 3 1/2 gallons in a keg and what it would entail to get the air out of the keg before transferring to it, just to bottle a 6 pack.

I put a good blanket of CO2 on the secondary. After sealing the secondary bucket I put a strap clamp around the bucket lid to make sure it seals well. The airlock is bubbling, so I know there is some fermentation going on. We will see what happens.

Back