Stalled fermentation.. to repitch or nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessWinter77

Reaction score
Somewhat of a Double Brown/ Milk Stout

OG: 1.090
Gravity as is: 1.029

with 4.5 Points of Lactose... so if im correct:

Fermentable OG: 1.0855
Fermentable Gravity as is: 1.0245

Attenuation as is: 71% out of 73%-77% range for Wyeast 1028

Its not too far off, but I believe I racked to secondary too early (w/out checking the gravity) after fermentation stalled due to low temperature. After a week+ in 2ndary at higher temps the gravity has not dropped. As its a stronger/darker beer, i'd like to bottle it, but would be concerned of overcarbing/bottle bombs if it has not fully fermented yet.

Do you think its a viable option to re-pitch more yeast (possibly with a small sugar solution+nutrients) to the secondary to get those last few points knocked off?

Are there any downsides to re-pitching? such as off flavors?

Do you think a repitch would be able to knock off the points now that its so close, and without aeration? (I assume re-aerating at this point would be a terrible idea)

Thanks!

Yeast needs oxygen only for propagation so in case of re-pitching aeration is not needed, besides that it would cause off flavors.
As for FG, it depends on how low was temperature but I wouldn't worry about few points for this style, you want full bodied beer and 0.05 points above is not that much and you probably have enough yeast to ferment any possible left fermentabile sugars.
My last sweet stout ended at 1.026 and OG was pretty lower- 1.052. I kegged half and other half went to bottles, almost 3 weeks and no bottle bombs or gushing..

With the addition of Lactose your over all attenuation is going to decrease so 71% verses a potential 73%, its probably done. Id say you might give it a swirl once a day and give it another week but I wouldn't shake it up/aerate it.

Back