Stainless Wort Filter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaffin

Reaction score
So, i'm upgrading my SS kettle to incorporate a SS valve assembly. But, being a noob I forgot that I would have to have a filter/catch screen so I don't crap up my CFC. I know Midwest has the "Bazooka" but, I was wondering if there were any other options out there and if y'all have any pros or cons about other equipment?

Thanks! Looks like a good DIY project. Plus, is there any other market setups like the bazooka?

If you have a coupler welded into the kettle, use a 1/2" MPT to 1/2" flare 90. Use about a 8" length of 1/2" copper tube connected to the 90 and bent in a curve to match the curve of the bottom of the kettle. At the end of the 1/2" CU tube, attach a stainless steel lint trap with a hose clamp. You can get the SS lint trap 2 for $2.00 at HD or Lowes. You will need to wash the new lint trap with dishwashing liquid and boil it to make sure all of the oil from the manufacturing process is removed. This lint trap makes an effective filter for both leaf and pellets and it's cheap too. I have been using this set up for 16 years in a 10 gallon system with no clogs. With the curved tubing hugging the bottom of the kettle, you can tilt the kettle as it empties to get all of the wort out.

The damn lint trap idea is Genius Border! I will definetly look at that for a short to long term application!

So, I took Border's suggestion and constructed my wort filter for inside my boil kettle. One Scott's SS Lint Trap (no ball lint traps in Lowes or HD but, found this at ACE's), 1/2" copper terminal trap that comes with a perfect 90 degree bend (just cut both ends to fit), one SS clamp and a "GatorBite" brass fitting that the copper tubing just twists and locks in to. All-in-all about $15 to $20 bucks. Really easy to assemble! I did a clear water test boil and everything is water tight and good to go. I will test true Wort next Saturday on homebrew day. One thing I'm slightly worried about is the little plastic part on the Gatorbite but, I don't think it will be an issue.

P3260073.JPG

Back