Stainless VS. Aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but do a quick search here. There are over 9000 topics about that, all of them ending up as both are fine. I use an aluminum pot, it was much cheaper and it works just the same.

Aluminum will kill you if you brew in it.

Waiting for explosion of angry replies...

I've already died multiple times from brewing in mine. Or maybe that was just intoxication. I don't really remember.

I got an aluminum pot at sams... they have a 40qt one for 40 bucks after shipping. Nobody will ever convince me of any practical reason to use stainless steel over aluminum (other than the fact that it looks better, which it does), but the topic has been discussed to death (there's even a sticky somewhere here, I think on the equipment boards), so if you're looking for more in depth info, check that out.

have both, use both. my aluminum is a better diameter for the boil IMO, I have to use two burners on my lame ass stove and my SS pot doesn't cover both of them as well as my aluminum does

Check Home Depot and Lowes. I look every time I go through the store to see if anything is on clearance. I picked up a a 100Quart Bayou Classic for $40 dollars and a 60Quart Brinkman for $36? dollars. Also found a 32Quart Tamale steamer at Sears for $32 dollars.

I'm a fan of aluminum. As a thermal conductor, aluminum moves heat in much faster during the boil and then after the boil it loses heat much faster than stainless.

Also, my wallet doesn't burn up as quickly when using aluminum, it's much more economical.

As far as aluminum killing me, I don't worry about it too much. I'm sure there's some other hysteria out there that's much more dangerous than aluminum.

Search for it, I think I have read 100 threads that are titled the same, and seen 1000 of them. This might be the most repeated topic besides the "oops" threads.

I went looking for a 20+ quart pot this week. Couldn't find a stainless or aluminum pot ANYWHERE!!!

I went looking for a 20+ quart pot this week. Couldn't find a stainless or aluminum pot ANYWHERE!!!

If you're looking in department stores you won't find crap. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a 30 or 32quart pot being sold as a turkey fryer. Try bass pro, HD or Lowes. You can also try Sams Club (Costco or BJs if you have those). I know sams is pretty good prices online for aluminum pots.

If you're looking in department stores you won't find crap. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a 30 or 32quart pot being sold as a turkey fryer. Try bass pro, HD or Lowes. You can also try Sams Club (Costco or BJs if you have those). I know sams is pretty good prices online for aluminum pots.

I tried everywhere but those places. LOL

Thanks for the Sams tip 32 quart should do the job - now I just have to find someone with a membership. I wonder if Costco has them in-store (I have a membership there).

if you do 5 gal, ensure the pot you have is 7 gallons at least. that gives you the space for boiloff of water (final will be 5, you start higher) and thermal expansion as you heat it the water mass gets bigger (not much but it does). Also with alum, do a full pot boil for i think 30 minutes to build up the protective layer. then toss that water (wait for it to cool!)

if you do 5 gal, ensure the pot you have is 7 gallons at least. that gives you the space for boiloff of water (final will be 5, you start higher) and thermal expansion as you heat it the water mass gets bigger (not much but it does). Also with alum, do a full pot boil for i think 30 minutes to build up the protective layer. then toss that water (wait for it to cool!)

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering how big to go.

Back