Stainless Tri Clover to CANNING jar lid for Conical yeast harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beginning to wonder if jaybird ever sleeps. Ordered this late Tuesday night, got a response back same night and had it in my hands Friday. Well built nice welds, very happy with price and quality, way better than anything I could have built. Brewed last Saturday, great for trub removal, back on waiting for the yeast to drop.

Sleep? Ha Ha Ha, YEP ...15-20 min at a time! LOL

That is AWESOME! Love the little stubby jar too. Glad it arrived on time and you are already putting it to use!

Cheers
Jay

I did order 4. Very nicely done, order shipped same day. I have an order in for 2 more as of this morning.
Thank you @Jaybird for the extra gasket. Nice addition. Will you be offering just the gasket on your website for people that want extras and replacements?

M

I did order 4. Very nicely done, order shipped same day. I have an order in for 2 more as of this morning.
Thank you @Jaybird for the extra gasket. Nice addition. Will you be offering just the gasket on your website for people that want extras and replacements?

M

Thank you for the orders. Would love to see your set up.

Yes we are adding the gasket to the website in the next couple days.

Cheers
Jay

Do I get a commission for the original idea? ;)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=423808

Have you found a source for SS bands yet? Even though they aren't in contact with the beer I hate it when they get corroded and the ones I have seem to get grungy while I'm storing the yeast and leave marks on the lip that I question the cleanliness of as I'm pouring yeast out over it.

Do I get a commission for the original idea? ;)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=423808

Have you found a source for SS bands yet? Even though they aren't in contact with the beer I hate it when they get corroded and the ones I have seem to get grungy while I'm storing the yeast and leave marks on the lip that I question the cleanliness of as I'm pouring yeast out over it.

That's killer! It's funny because I was PM'ed and asked to make these for another HBT'r here and was linked to yet even another thread about them.

Yes we have the stainless lids. Expensive little buggers! Haven't had a chance to get them on the website yet. I cannot believe how much bigger they are then the ones that come with the jars.

Cheers
Jay

First time using w/ ipa. So far I can tell I'm going to love it. This AM it was almost completely full with Trub and hop pieces. Will dump tonight and start harvesting yeast. I can tell I'm going to prefer this over the usual harvesting. It'll pay itself off quickly.

First time using w/ ipa. So far I can tell I'm going to love it. This AM it was almost completely full with Trub and hop pieces. Will dump tonight and start harvesting yeast. I can tell I'm going to prefer this over the usual harvesting. It'll pay itself off quickly.

Sweet! Post up a few picts. Lets see the set up...

Cheers
Jay

Getting my system put together.....Using my custom leg extension kit to raise it up..WAY UP! I went 12" on mine for now. Also using the blow off tube for sure. It's starting to come together! Now to add the 5" spray head for cleaning and sanitizing.... This is really starting to show signs needing wort!...:D:D:D

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20160607_125253.jpg

Just ordered a 2" one of these. Such a great idea!! Thanks a lot!

BTW, I'm thinking about attaching it after the 90º elbow. Do you see any problem with that, rather than attaching it straight out of the fermenter?

Cheers!

Just ordered a 2" one of these. Such a great idea!! Thanks a lot!

BTW, I'm thinking about attaching it after the 90º elbow. Do you see any problem with that, rather than attaching it straight out of the fermenter?

Cheers!

If you plan on removing the 90* and then the harvester, I don't. But if you plan on opening a jar that is filled with liquid that is sitting horizontal..Thank might be a problem.

Cheers
Jay

Yeah, I was wondering about problems not getting the yeast to the jar, etc. The "gravity law" problem I was planning to fix as you suggest :)

Cheers!

I might be late to the party about the tri-clover to canning jar thread, however, I have mine in use for the second time this month and it is well designed in form and function. The first beer brewed that this was used with the fermenter was and Belgian IPA based on a wit. The first week we had to empty a 1/2 gallon jar 2 times to remove trub and hop debris. That was a lot of material that without removal that the beer would have been on until the beer was either moved to a secondary or fermented on top of the material. The resulting beer was execellent and the yeast was saved to pitch on the new beer.
Thank you for the innovative design and the execellent service you provide.

I like it!

Hint: leave the cap ring a little loose to allow air to escape and not enter into your fermenter!

Yeast%20Beast-L.jpg

A simple way to prevent air from entering is to fill the jar and the neck up to the tri-clover connector with distilled water.

There is so little that it usually is not an issue, probably a 1/2 inch and active fermentation. Most of the trub and hop debris is usually dropped out within the first 36 hours.

There is so little that it usually is not an issue, probably a 1/2 inch and active fermentation. Most of the trub and hop debris is usually dropped out within the first 36 hours.

I suppose you might be ok for the first 48hrs but once you reach FG you will be at risk. Could be the difference between a good beer and a great One! Why chance it.

You ask why chance it, because the beer actually tastes better without all the trub and hop debris. It is safer than moving the beer from the primary to the secondary as far as oxygenation and infections go. Not that I am being offensive, but Knoxville has its share of wild yeast and other beer spoilage organism here. Oh yeah, go Vols.

I do not see the point of all that. What I do is simply keep the valve open all the time. I treat the jar as part of the fermenter, so when I fill it, the valve at the bottom is open. Then I pitch the yeast and when the fermentation is done I close the valve and take the jar full of yeast and trub, wash it and re-use it. No need to keep it full of air and worry about it.

Cheers!

Back