Stainless steel pot electric heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninoid

Reaction score
I have plan to bay stainless steel pot (like this) for replace my plastic brewing kettle. In this pot I plan to install a heater from the plastic electric kettle (like this). I use this kind of heater now in a plastic brewing kettle and it works without any problems.

I wonder if anyone tried it?
Would the silicone rubber of heating element will be melted on steel pot in 60 minutes boil?

Just out of interest, how large is your "plastic brewing kettle"?
I would expect that the heater from a one liter electric "kettle" would be inadequate for a 33 liter pot if boiling is necessary...

Just out of interest, how large is your "plastic brewing kettle"?
I would expect that the heater from a one liter electric "kettle" would be inadequate for a 33 liter pot if boiling is necessary...

Currently I have 35L plastic kettle with one heating element from such electric kettle of 2000W. It is enough for boil.

I measured the temperature on a small stainless steel cocking pot.
The outside wall temperature is ten degrees lower than the water temperature. This is even slightly lower than the plastic kettle, which means that this heater would work without a problem on the stainless steel pot.

2000W is double the power of the linked 1 liter "kettle", and actually higher than the heat sticks some folks have used successfully. It might work, especially if you insulate your new pot...

Cheers!

2000W is double the power of the linked 1 liter "kettle", and actually higher than the heat sticks some folks have used successfully. It might work, especially if you insulate your new pot...

Cheers!

This linked pot is only sample. My is 1,5L with 2000W (230V) heating element.

This linked pot is only sample. My is 1,5L with 2000W (230V) heating element.
Hi. I know this thread is old, but I see you are still around. How about a follow up on this. If you have time, can you take pics of the element and how you mounted it ? I have read a lot over the years and never saw this mod. Thanks

Hi. I know this thread is old, but I see you are still around. How about a follow up on this. If you have time, can you take pics of the element and how you mounted it ? I have read a lot over the years and never saw this mod. Thanks

See this and this.

Wort boil in bath tub:

kuhanje piva.jpg

See this and this.

Wort boil in bath tub:

View attachment 749607
Hey. Thanks for the fast response !
Bro. Seeing that water boiling in a plastic bucket just blew me away. Nice videos !
I see these little boil kettles all the time at sales for next to nothing and never thought about a mod like this. I did not know they had a screw together fit on the element.

Also I've never seen wort boil in a bath tub. +1

I'm glad I helped. For starters you can take a plastic bucket and install a heater, but a stainless steel pot is the real thing. The plastic pot absorbs the wort and warps after a dozen of boils. The heater should not be weaker than 2000W for a pot of 30 - 35L (5 gallons of beer).

And be sure to put some silicone pad that can withstand high temperatures under the pot if you’re boil in a tub. I didn’t think about it for the first time so I damaged the tub a bit.

If you want to get to boiling faster, install 2 elements in the one pot and power from different fused power circuits in the house. It also gives you redundancy Incase 1 fails.

One thing I learnt the hard way though, to protect blowing house fuses from boil over spilling on the contacts, silicon glue a domed shroud/cover ( like the front of a baseball/cricket cap) above the heating element so any boil over drips onto the shroud then down the side away.

I have never had a boil over because I have one 2000W heater. If two heaters of that power were to be used I think it would be better to use both until the wort is heated to boiling and then continue to boil with one heater. That way it won't be boil over.
By the way, I protected the heater electric joint with oleaginous baking paper. It is resistant to high temperatures and does not absorb liquid.

Must admit my boil over was from carelessness :)
Elements on, lid on, doing something else to have all the lights suddenly turn off!

And what you said was spot on, use 2 to Get to boiling then 1 to maintain.

Good idea with the baking paper!

Back