Stainless Steel Growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan0914

Reaction score
So I was wondering if anyone has tried using this 64oz stainless growler.
on their site beer is mentioned but I was wondering how well they seal. I have one for coffee and there pretty much indestructible. so this would be perfect for ski trips or camping. for $34 its a little steep but i might try them.
here they are, for some reason the link isnt working so just cut and paste

www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=215999087&sellerid=34017162

I use something like that sometimes although not a big. Works great for bringing beer to the public pool on a hot summer day. It's just water right?;)

Just had a nice chat with the owner of Bitter and Esters.
It turns out that the wholesaler who quoted him the Brauler, was actually quoting him for Amber Glass Growlers...He's not sure how Stainless Steel got translated into Amber Glass, but obviously through no fault of his own, he won't be able to sell them yet.
He's still hoping to get some in, but is not aware of anywhere on the East Coast that has them available.
He asked me to post here, I guess the thread is getting him lots of calls, which he says he doesn't mind...He just explains it to everyone. Seems like a great guy too, we talked for half an hour about his Blichmann 30 gallon Electric Brewery, just like the one I'm having delivered next week.
If I lived in NY, I'd definitely visit this guy's shop, seems really knowledgeable and helpful.
I've signed up for his update service, so I'll post here if he gets them in, and what price they'll be.
My guess would be mid $30's based on the research I've done so far.
NB

I've got one of the hydroflask growlers and they are awesome. It holds pressure and temp great. Makes for a great way to take beer into seaworld. The hydroflask customer support is ones of the best I've ever seen. My original hydroflask growler got dented by the kind folks at UPS during shipping. I emailed and called hydroflask to explain that I was leaving on a trip in two days and wanted to take my growler. Hydroflask then promptly shipped me a new one second day UPS to arrive just in time. They said send the other one back when you return from your trip. Now that is awesome.

I also ordered some other flasks and changed my mind on the color and hydroflask swapped the color no problem, no questions asked. My shipping list even had a hand written note to change the color. That is personal service.

The growler is a little pricey, but well worth it for the awesome service and quality.

Jeff

I dot think that would be work. Pressures during conditioning are much higher than carbonated beer. Try emailing the manufacturer.

Ehh just realized the price is more than a used corny keg and for 30 more can get a new 2.5gal keg

I received a 64oz Hydroflask as a gift for Christmas and was super excited to try it. I put it in the freezer after Christmas to get it cold and facilitate headless pouring from the keg into the growler when it came time to fill it.

Fast forward two months to today (Feb 3) when I filled it with some IIPA. As I normally do with any other growler, I oveflowed it while filling until it was full of liquid - no head - then tried to cap it. I screwed the cap on really tight, but foam was still seeping out. Obviously not an airtight fit. Any thoughts on how to at least get a decent (leakless) fit on these? Maybe the rubber o-ring was stiff from being frozen, so I'll keep it room temp for next time I fill, but I hope this wasn't a waste of $40 for someone. If it can't hold a seal for at least a day, this might just become a large thermos for me. Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I would give hydro flask a call. They may replace the lid. I dont the hydroflask i have the kleen canteen. It seals nicely but u really have to screw it down. I have had a few occasions where i didnt screw it down enough. The repercussions were flat beer to a soaked car seat.

Hydroflask actually recommends to NOT put the Hydroflask in the freezer or to clean them in a dishwasher. They recommend that you prechill by using ice water. That is what i do and it works great. Usually I drop the keg pressure to 1-2 psi and fill right from the tap and I have no problems with foam. I'd also recommend leaving a little head space for the lid to seat properly. I generally leave 1" of head space. If you look at the lid it's got a section that will go into the flask and if you fill the flask completely then the carbonation pressure and the pressure from trying to "compress" the beer is likely causing it to not seal properly.

If all else fails then yes call hydroflask and they'll defiantly work with you. They are a great company and very helpful.

jf

Back