Stainless steel fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An ebay seller sent me the wrong part for my conical build and I need it for this weekend, 1/2 instead of 1 1/2. So I contacted a local plumbing depot and they have a 2x1 1/12 nipple just for me. I get home and I notice the inside isn't smooth it's just like the outside. Is that ok? Should I try to get another.

Are you sure it's stainless and not galv? There's nothing wrong with it, but it will have more crevices that might harbor bacteria.

That plumbing part sounds dodgy to me. Even though you're in a time crunch, you may be able to get the right part and have it Fedexed. Check out the Sponsors page here, there are a number of vendors that may be able to get you the part you need. Ss Brewing Technologies, Brew Hardware are a few places you can try. Give them a call.

If it is lead-free bronze, you'll be fine. If it is galvanized iron, it was hot-dipped in zinc. If it is black, it is steel, probably with a sticky greasy anti-rust coating.

The bronze is ok, I personally wouldn't brew with the others.

If it’s galvanized I wouldn’t use it. Acidic environments will corrode he zinc quickly, not sure if it’s something you want to ingest.

Edit: I just saw this is from 2012...

Back