Stainless Steel Drums Boil Kettle and Mash Tun Questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaureywwc

Reaction score
Building an electric brewing system involving 2 Stainless Steel Barrels. The two I bought from a local winery are closed on both ends with a 2" threaded bung hole on the side. They also have a spigot slot on the end of each barrel. I'm planning to use these for a Hot Liquor Tank and a Boil Kettle, I'll be using a 150 gallon milk tank for a mash tun.

My question beyond that is how many elements should I use? I had planned to anchor them on barrel racks, and put an element through both ends to "evenly heat"

Just looking for an opinion on that end. This is a total change to the current system I'm using now. Also slightly worried about using for a boil kettle Because I would only have that 2" space, so boil-overs are a massive worry. Granted they are 55 gallon drums and I will be using these for 1bbl batches.

Why are you intent on keeping them as closed head barrels? You'll never be able to clean them.

I was actually going to implement wine barrel equipment for cleaning, I previously worked in wineries and that's where most of my equipment knowledge comes from. For brewing I'm used to a 15 gallon kettle on direct fire, and a mash tun made from a cooler.

I'm not opposed to cutting them. I was trying to avoid it. Hahah

Cutting it would drop the risk for boil overs dramatically I would imagine. Im just looking for opinions to see what people think will be the best route.

Our brew club uses 3 each, 55 gallon stainless drums, I believe Coke syrup came in them.
All open ended, all direct fired, ( as needed, on the mash tun),and we make 50 gallons of beer, no problem.

Electric elements should be no problem, I wouldn't think, with a properly welded in mount "boss" to hold your elements.

I would use 2 elements, and would not even think about keeping the drums "closed ended".

Set them upright, and use them that way..........As long as we are paying attention when the boil starts happenin', boil overs are not a problem.

HLT slam dunk man, easy like Sunday morning. Now the Boil Kettle a total different animal. In the boil your adding hops and clearing agents and all kinds of other stuff that 1 you need to get in and 2 you will have to get it out. Then you have the whole DMS issue if you dont vent it well etc etc etc. Now that said you can have your welder add a 6" or 8" (or whatever) tri clover ferrule so you can still get in and out without having to cut the entire top off but I don't really see the benefit from it.
Good luck on the build man. Post up some picts when you get started...

Cheers
Jay

Back