Stainless Steel CFC build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwill07

Reaction score
so I recently built a CFC from SS tubing. I detailed the build here and testing here. In summary, I purchased the tubing and fixtures from stainlessbrewing.com. The coil is 25', terminated with stainless tee fittings and using bushings and JB Weld.

total cost: $90.25, plus the cost of the hose (which I already had).

Why stainless? I may choose to go LoDo one day. I'm trying to future-proof myself a bit here. Plus, stainless is easier to clean, it's shiny, and the loss in thermal conductivity is negligible (I think), especially for a 25' chiller.

Here are some pics:

hose and tubing:
coil_hose.jpg

feeding the hose over the tube: this took about 2 hours to do.
hose-wind2.jpg

Dry fitting the hardware:
dry-fit.jpg

JB welding on the bushings:
jb weld push out.jpg

mounting the chiller (hard-plumbed to my rig with copper pre-chiller):
mount2.jpg

thermocouple to track wort exit temp:
thermocouple2.jpg

Performance: (T1 = thermocouple - external temp of ss tube, T2 = directly measured temp discharging from CFC)
cooling.jpg

In summary, with ~60 F tap water, I can start draining into the carboy at pitching temp within 5 minutes of the end of the boil, which is pretty great. I can have the entire 5 gallons in the carboy at pitch temperature within 10 minutes. This is comparable with my old plate chiller, which could do the job in less than 7 minutes. In my opinion, the extra 3 minutes for the CFC is more than worth it, given the cleaning requirements of the plate chiller.

What's the JB weld for? Why not use compression fittings?

1. more expensive.
2. I based my build on another user (his blog is down right now but here is the link) . He used JB weld instead of fittings because he jambed up the tubing while straightening the legs. becasue of the tightness, he couldn't get the fittings on. I figured I'd just skip to the end and go directly to JB-weld.

It didn't actually work for me. a month or so after this post, I mounted the chiller on my rig and the ends of the CFC weren't exactly where I wanted them - not quite parallel. So, I bent it in place and let it go. Well, that put a lot of torque on the fitting and it eventually popped the weld. so, I did buy a SS fitting and managed to get it in place. It wasn't easy - when straightening my tube, I squeezed it a bit and it was more oval than round. So, I brought it back into the shop, squeezed it the other direction and got it pretty close to round. To get the ferrule in, I used a lot of WD-40 to lube it up, a washer that fit snugly against the ferrule, and slipped a piece of pipe down over the washer. I was able to hit the pipe with a hammer, driving the ferrule down the tube and into place. It wasn't easy but I was able to make it work.

It's hard to make compression ferrules work on tubing that has been beaten up so one trick is to upsize the fitting and replace the ferrules with a short stack of orings. It won't hold 100psi, but that's not really the point either.

Back