stainless steel braid, hop stoper for the keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a SS braid that goes over the end of a SS raking cane. It says to only use it with whole hops. I think it would work, but thats really just a guess.

SS braid is all I've ever used. I use the same long piece in my my mash tun and in my kettle. Never had any problems. I only use whole hops. Doubt it would work for other forms of hops.

I'd also venture a guess that it won't really do too well on cold break either if you use an immersion chiller. I've clogged my hopstopper with a mix of whole and pellet hops along with immersion chilling.

I think if you use whole hops all the time, you might have the best luck with a Bazooka. The Bazooka mesh has wider openings (which do very little for pellets), but work awesome with whole hops.

I used a SS braid in my keggle, for several batches. I figured it would work great just like in my mash tun. Like others have said, it seemed to work fine for whole hops. Pellet hops on the other hand clogged it up pretty good along with all the break material. It was actually pretty gross looking, seeing a log of gunk stuck at the bottom after all the liquid was out. If you choose to use it, be sure to clean it out thoroughly after every use. I didn't do that one time and it was impossible to clean. Now it's gone and I just use hop bags for whole hops. I've used the paint strainer bag trick with the IC that someone posted, as well as not filtering it and going straight to primary.

Well I tried it this weekend 3oz of whole hops and 1/2 oz of pellets and it SUCKED.
clogged and I could not get it to clear. It was about 12" of braided S.S. hose so I am not sure if it was the cold break or the 1/2 oz of pellets that clogged it. I have other people say it works great but not in my case that day. I am going to make a hop stopper and see how that works.

I've been using a SS braid and it worked fine the first couple of times then clogged up. I use pellet hops and it got so bad I had to just use my auto syphon to finish. I cleaned it real good before my last brewday and it was better. I was also thinking of moving to a hopstopper.

There's not enough surface area on the braid to work with all that fine particulate. I built my hopstopper with about 280 square inches and it still choked on a few ounces of pellet hops.

I think the bazooka tube stinks because it doesn't allow for a diptube requiring you to leave a lot of wort behind or tip the kettle.

There's not enough surface area on the braid to work with all that fine particulate. I built my hopstopper with about 280 square inches and it still choked on a few ounces of pellet hops.

I think the bazooka tube stinks because it doesn't allow for a diptube requiring you to leave a lot of wort behind or tip the kettle.

sorry to resurrect an old thread but...

whats the answer to this dilemma?

I just tried my ss braid (from toilet hose) while draining my brew kettle. clog city. Reading this thread made me aware of another issue-- cold break.

so again, whats the answer. False bottom, manifold. What do I need to put in my kettle that will keep the big stuff out but drain all the way through.

suggestions?

Back