Stainless steel basket for BIAB brewing- cheap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21jason21

Reaction score
13” is $65 and the 15” is $85

https://www.brew-boss.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FILTER-COFI-NCIT
DDBBFFA9-8AEC-40D7-BBA9-1BD0085D7EB3.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone used this separately from their brewing kit? Dimensions make it look like it may fit in my Spike 10 gallon kettle.

EDIT: On a second look it seems that the feet won't be tall enough to clear my element and I can't extend the feet or the basket will be too tall overall.

Last edited:
@21jason21 Thanks for posting this! I was about to spend $270 on a basket from Colorado Brewing for my 15 gal Spike kettle. This (15" model) was $100.70 delivered. I'll need to add the silicone feet, or some stainless steel bolts, to clear my heating element but no complaints here. Cheers!

I have a Brewbuilt 10G kettle that I use with a 240v induction unit. I was thinking about trying a basket and this was a great opportunity to do that cheaply. The 13" just fits in my kettle (about 3'8" all around). It's right on the edge of being too tall. I have to pull the handle off (genius the way that works) and then the portion of the lid that goes inside the kettle sits inside the handle support on one side and the handle support on the other side has to be where the kettle lid notch is. But it will indeed work.

I'll report back next time I brew, but what a deal.

I'm considering the 13" version for my winter time indoor BIAB. Can anyone comment on about how much grain the 13" will hold? I didn't see a height listed anywhere. Also, for anyone who bought one of these already, is it missing the fittings as well (i.e. no holes in the top and bottom)?

The basket is 16” tall. Should hold at least 15 lbs. of grain. Everything is there except the silicone feet and the center tube. The top has the hole and the fitting is in place at the bottom. Nice basket. I will build the center tube from copper.

I received the 15 gallon basket Friday. Here are some pics. It came with the basket, lid, handle, and false bottom. The lid and false bottom have the hole for the infusion tube. For the price the basket is super-nice! Darin also mentioned he has a 20 gallon basket with the (smaller) mesh size for cold brew that someone special ordered but never paid for.

In my case, the element port in a Spike+ kettle was a little higher than the bottom of the basket, but there’s over 3” of clearance from the top of the basket to the top of the kettle, so raising the feet with some stainless steel screws should be a simple fix.

Attachments

• 539B7E1C-2B99-4DBF-BBFC-76452F938CDC.jpeg
    539B7E1C-2B99-4DBF-BBFC-76452F938CDC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 303
  • B490AE05-DDB9-4BF1-8FF1-BFBD29194C4B.jpeg
    B490AE05-DDB9-4BF1-8FF1-BFBD29194C4B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 313
  • 7AB0B2B9-2770-4901-8721-C7F705FBCB28.jpeg
    7AB0B2B9-2770-4901-8721-C7F705FBCB28.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 319
  • AFE4E660-F688-4C3C-87A5-0C4DDD9E7DB3.jpeg
    AFE4E660-F688-4C3C-87A5-0C4DDD9E7DB3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 323
  • B863C30E-53D3-4A79-9F27-CDC5553D6615.jpeg
    B863C30E-53D3-4A79-9F27-CDC5553D6615.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 333
  • 9C9ECA13-3279-4F69-8CB0-653DA7E1B675.jpeg
    9C9ECA13-3279-4F69-8CB0-653DA7E1B675.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 324
  • D043ECC4-C4EB-442E-8683-58D0DE9D881A.jpeg
    D043ECC4-C4EB-442E-8683-58D0DE9D881A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 305
I'm considering the 13" version for my winter time indoor BIAB. Can anyone comment on about how much grain the 13" will hold? I didn't see a height listed anywhere. Also, for anyone who bought one of these already, is it missing the fittings as well (i.e. no holes in the top and bottom)?
The FAQ's on the web site answer this question.

https://www.brew-boss.com/category-s/115.htm

Does not fit my Bayou pot--too tall and slightly too wide. If anyone's interested, I'll sell it for $85 shipped in the original box (total was $106 shipped new), so save $19. Never been used. Shame, because it's really a nice BIAB screen.

I can't find what mesh size they are using. Does anybody know? Also, bummer that they don't make a 10" diameter version.

If you fabricate a center tube from copper drill very small holes first. I have made 2 and the first one was scraped because the holes were to big. You can always make the holes bigger.

Does not fit my Bayou pot--too tall and slightly too wide. If anyone's interested, I'll sell it for $85 shipped in the original box (total was $106 shipped new), so save $19. Never been used. Shame, because it's really a nice BIAB screen.

i'm interested.
DM'ed you

I just got mine.. great build quality. I got the 13" and it fits nicely in my 62qt Bayou classic and clears my element and temperature probe nicely. Even with the hefty shipping charge to CT, it was a phenomenal deal.

Care to share a picture of it in the 62 qt? It did not fit my 44qt...slightly disappointed, but knew that was a possibility going into it. Still very happy with the purchase.

I just got mine. Seems solid and well designed.

Any suggestions on how to clean it to get all the manufacturing oil/grease out?

thanks

I just got mine. Seems solid and well designed.

Any suggestions on how to clean it to get all the manufacturing oil/grease out?

thanks

Can't speak for this basket, but i had Stainless Arborfab basket come, i assume it is similar?
I suggest a very hot PBW soak (use a higher concentraition than normal- maybe an extra scoop) for 24 hours or so. A gentle cleaning with a sponge or bottle brush (both is best- use the brush f0r hard to reach areas) a few times while it is soaking (say after a few hours, then the next day).
A compmete rinse in hot water... you should be good.

Fyi- i use PBW to clean a LOT around the house now. Gotta read the directions as to what you cannot use it on, but man oh man does it kill grease, burn marks, etc. A wonder cleaner!!

Can't speak for this basket, but i had Stainless Arborfab basket come, i assume it is similar?
I suggest a very hot PBW soak (use a higher concentraition than normal- maybe an extra scoop) for 24 hours or so. A gentle cleaning with a sponge or bottle brush (both is best- use the brush f0r hard to reach areas) a few times while it is soaking (say after a few hours, then the next day).
A compmete rinse in hot water... you should be good.

Fyi- i use PBW to clean a LOT around the house now. Gotta read the directions as to what you cannot use it on, but man oh man does it kill grease, burn marks, etc. A wonder cleaner!!

Thanks much!
will try that out

There's a couple of posts here suggesting this basket won't fit the 10G Bayou kettles. The basket dimensions are 16.5" H x 13D. My mash tun is 17.5"H x 13.5"D. Mine has the basket ring at the top which is where I took the diameter measurement, so it seems the basket should be a perfect fit. My only concern is if it clears the pick up tube and how much dead space I'm going to give up. My current 10" diameter FB sits 1/2" from the bottom at it's highest point, while the basket is 2.5" all around. I do a lot of 10 gallon batches where I'm close to maxing out my tun. I think my biggest batch was about 22lbs of grain and I was at the basket ring of my tun.

The price has me tempted as it's cheaper than a newer, more robust, false bottom.

After some measurements I rolled the dice on one of the 13" baskets. It *juuust* fits into a 10 gallon PolarWare kettle I have here. It's flush with the top of the kettle so I may try to lower the feet some. I plan to set this up as a RIMS system so I don't care if it has any element clearance. For anyone who has fabricated their own center tube (or bought one with the tube from BrewBoss) how many holes and what size did you use? I intend to set up a center tube instead of sparge so I don't run any risk of running the RIMS dry.
IMG_20200709_185134565.jpg

There's a couple of posts here suggesting this basket won't fit the 10G Bayou kettles. The basket dimensions are 16.5" H x 13D. My mash tun is 17.5"H x 13.5"D. Mine has the basket ring at the top which is where I took the diameter measurement, so it seems the basket should be a perfect fit. My only concern is if it clears the pick up tube and how much dead space I'm going to give up. My current 10" diameter FB sits 1/2" from the bottom at it's highest point, while the basket is 2.5" all around. I do a lot of 10 gallon batches where I'm close to maxing out my tun. I think my biggest batch was about 22lbs of grain and I was at the basket ring of my tun.

The price has me tempted as it's cheaper than a newer, more robust, false bottom.

Mine just arrived. It fits snugly into my 10G Bayou. Do you want pictures of the clearance?

I drilled 16 holes that were 1.2 mm each. I made the center tube from 1/2” copper. 2 fittings and 11 7/8” of copper worked perfect. Brewed 3 batches so far a it works great. After you solder everything, grind or file the top fitting and the basket top will go over it easily.

Attachments

• 81C6BCA9-9B53-45B7-A286-42C567C7D3C9.jpeg
    81C6BCA9-9B53-45B7-A286-42C567C7D3C9.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 142
Wow, my apologies. I missed the first response. Here are some pictures.

Note, I have the 10gallon Bayou post listed here - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SKU4PE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The internal diameter of this pot is 13.6 inches, and only the small basket offered in this thread will fit inside it. It fits with just under a quarter inch of room all around (tight fit!!)

As I mentioned the basket fits (barely), however I noticed that it seemed to still sit high and not settle all the way in. On further review, it seems the basket feet clear the lower kettle indentation ring, but the actual basket does not. So the basket feet do not reach the bottom of the Bayou, and all the weight of the basket sits on the kettle indentation ring <-not good!

I noticed the Bayou 1044 actually has the indentation ring on the top, not on the bottom like mine. However the internal dimensions appear to be the same. This probably means that the basket will only slide an inch or two into your kettle. At this point, I would recommend against this basket if you have either of the 10G/44Q Bayou models with the indentation ring. The only way I will be able to use it is if I add length to the feet on my basket so that the weight of it does not sit on the kettle ring.

I took a bunch of pictures. Let me know if you need more, or you want details on a specific measurement.

IMG_1493.JPG

Inner diameter of kettle = 13.5+

IMG_1502.JPG

Here you can see how the basket snuggly fits inside.

IMG_1499.JPG

Noticed that the basket is sitting higher than it should.

IMG_1514.JPG

Here is a picture through the lower kettle opening showing the basket feet not touching the bottom

Here's a pic of mine in a 10 gallon Polar Ware kettle. The feet are on the bottom. I'm considering cutting the feet down on the basket so it's under the top of the kettle. I've ran it once like this and got really good efficiency, but thanks to the kettle size and basket volume I had to add about a gallon of water after the mash to get my volume right (but still made my OG). Might run it again this evening on an APA.

IMG_20200722_190759122.jpg

Looks great! Nice build as well. Can I ask what you're using for the center infusion tube?

Side note, is that an Omron E5cc PID in your Brew Chief??

I bought a 14" pre-threaded stainless pipe nipple from McMaster-Carr and drilled 1/16" holes in it. Could have probably gotten away with a 13" pipe nipple.

The PID is a EBSP200 from Electric Brewing Supply. I bought the Brew Chief used from Facebook marketplace like that from a guy who had used it to run a HERMS setup. I added the RIMS tube, although I am seriously considering HERMS instead.

Smart on the pre-threaded pipe.. I ordered the 20-gallon basket size and it looks like they don't offer a 15" version, unfortunately, would have to round up to 16". Thinking about it! Good ideas, thanks for sharing. Hopefull that tube wasn't too thick to drill through with all those holes? I can imagine that took a while.

Last edited:
No, it actually drilled very easily with the proper tools. A sharp, good quality bit at slow RPM's. You'll need a vise to keep the tube well centered under the drill. I didn't spot the holes first, but was prepared to if it wanted to skate off the sides and also don't try drilling through both sides at once it usually ends poorly. I put 4 staggered holes per quarter-turn (16 holes total).

That's good to hear! What size are the holes?

Also, how much does the tube stick out the top of your basket? Can't tell if 1 or 2 inches. Thanks again!

Hey, for anybody like me who was wondering about what the 20-gallon basket might fit in. I have a Brewers Best 16-gallon kettle here that fits it, but it's tight! Can confirm it rests comfortably on the bottom, but hardly any wiggle room. Should be good for getting the most out of this kettle size. Please note that these photos were taken with the rubber feet added to the bottom of the basket. The kettle lid just clears the tabs for the basket handle in this configuration.

20200901_084020.jpg
20200901_084038.jpg

I'm looking at doing something like this for inside a Keggle mash tun. I currently use a bag (just for the simplicity of clean up) but find that with big grain bills and or using oats, it forms against the false bottom, essentially cutting off the flow to the HERMS system. A basket like this would probably allow better flow around all the walls and down to the drain. Anyone seen one that would fit? Alternatively, I need need to come up with a better design for the false bottom or create some kind of way of ensuring I don't block the flow.

Back