Quantcast

Stainless Mug Makes My Beer Go Flat

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bkboiler

Reaction score
Just got a new Stanley vacuum insulated stainless "stein". Really great mug: plenty large, keeps things cold for a REALLY long time, durable, dishwasher safe...

But one thing, the surface roughness inside the cup is so high my BEER GOES FLAT really fast!

Anybody else experience this or is it all in my head?

Franktalk

Reaction score
The rough spots are what's known as nucleation points. Nucleation points knock out the carbonation bubble that are in solution, so they can escape. Apparently all your carbonation is escaping.

S-Met

Department of Redundancy Department.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have several stainless 2x-insulated mugs over the last few years as my backyard and camping beer mug. No issues from flat beer from any mug related issues. Very smooth inside. I'm wondering if you have hard water spots on your mug?

OP
bkboiler

bkboiler

Reaction score
Good question...
I got a picture right next to the weld line.

My Stanley beer mug and coffee travel cups by Contigo, rubbermade and Zaak! all have the same texture inside from the factory.

I think I may get some high grit sandpaper and wet sand it by hand until the same polish as the exterior. Thoughts?

Attachments

OP
bkboiler

bkboiler

Reaction score
Think I got a better picture by adjusting the lighting, iso, exposure and white balance. Colors are off but hopefully it shows better...

Attachments

Latest posts