Stainless finishing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

airbalancer

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying decide how to finish my stainless rig. I really dont want to try polishing 40' of tubing but I would like some sort of uniform finish. I was thinking about bead blasting it and was wondering if anyone had any experience they could share.

Thanks
Mike

kerklein2

Reaction score
Get a quote for powder coating. You could also just take your angle grinder and put a uniform swirl over the whole thing, might look kinda cool.

Reaction score
Get a quote for powder coating. You could also just take your angle grinder and put a uniform swirl over the whole thing, might look kinda cool.
Personally I wouldn't powdercoat SS.

The uniform swirl idea is a good one though. I would use a prep disc or a flap sander in an angle grinder and not the grinding wheel though. I wish I'd done that to mine BEFORE I welded it all up. Live and learn.

whitescout

Reaction score
We blast everything we make out of stainless at work. it looks awesome!! It looks like it has been painted with a satin silver paint. If you are going to blast it yourself, take all of the proper safety precautions. We use glass for the media, and I must warn you not to use any media that has been used on anything other than stainless.

hooks

Reaction score
have it bead blasted or sandblasted, it depends on your finish quality before blasting but here's an example of stainless steel with a bead blast finish.. I would just go over everything with a palm sander with fine enough grit to smooth the swirl marks...