Stainless disconnects straight from China?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwipen

Reaction score
Do you have any experience with stainless ball lock disconnects bought straight from China? Are they the same quality as those you buy from stores? They seem quite affordable. Have you noticed any difference?

I'm happy with the plastic ones from CMB, but I'd like a stainless one for closed transfers that I can boil with the silicone hose.

It's likely most of the ones you buy from US sources are made in China. The difference is that the US company is dealing with quality control. They are the ones who have to vet the manufacturers, materials (toxicity?), quality control, absorb the cost of pieces that don't fit quality standards, and absorb the cost of shipping.

When you order direct, you need to deal with all that stuff. When it works out, it's a fantastic value. When it doesn't work out you can waste time and money ordering and re-ordering multiple times.

I've bought electronic components many times direct from China. 90% of them have worked perfectly. I've bough brewing plumbing a few times, 50% of it was usable.

Your mileage may vary.

Do you have any experience with stainless ball lock disconnects bought straight from China? Are they the same quality as those you buy from stores? They seem quite affordable. Have you noticed any difference?

I'm happy with the plastic ones from CMB, but I'd like a stainless one for closed transfers that I can boil with the silicone hose.
Do you have links for what you are talking about? I might be interested in trying some out if they are affordable enough with MFL connections.

Do you have links for what you are talking about? I might be interested in trying some out if they are affordable enough with MFL connections.

I see that Morebeer sell stainless one for 15, but bow it's on sale for 10! It's stainless except for the outer bushing that's made from chrome plated brass. I wouldn't soak it in soap or Starsan for long periods because of that.
They also have another style for 16 that are a little shorter and looks to be stainless all over.

12 dollars seem to be normal on Aliexpress. I don't know if it's wort it to pay 12 when they normally cost 15 at Morebeer. I assume it's easier to complain to an American dealer if there is something wrong with the product, and you can get it a lot faster.

I found a pair at Aliexpress on black friday sale for 20, but as I mentioned Morebeer is currently selling the for 10 a piece, but you have to take shipping into account.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sta...lgo_pvid=ae397c13-9511-4646-ab2f-2bf578eef0ed

What other American dealers sell stainless disconnects?

nice find! Thanks for the links. The more I think about it though, for me, it just doesn't make sense to make the jump to stainless for my disconnects. Part of it is that I would also want pin lock (most of my kegs are pin lock), and I've looked for years, and only was able to acquire one stainless pin lock disconnect, and now I can't find any.

The other, bigger reason, is just cost. I literally have dozens of sets of plastic disconnects in various stages of use, and if I were to replace all of them with stainless, that would be an unreasonable cost given the benefit for me. I'll still pine after them though...

Good luck on your quest for stainless disconnects though!

Back