Quantcast

Stainless CFC Choices

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

eric19312

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey I'm itching to buy a new piece of gear and thinking it is time to retire my old 50' copper IC. I'd like to get rid of copper as I find the LODO guys kind of persuasive enough on the issue I already got rid of the last of the copper fittings I was using upstream. I'm not interested in a plate chiller as I really only brew hoppy beers and can't imagine the agony of getting a clogged chiller at the end of a long brew day. I want to get rid of the IC after last brew when I went to remove my chiller from the wort there were two dang hornets doing the back stroke in my kettle. I want to chill with the lid on tight.

So I have my eye on either the Stout SS CFC or the Exchilerator Maxx with the SS upgrade. The Stout is cheaper as sold but looks like I'd need a lot of fittings I don't have to get it hooked up to my brewery. The Exchilerator has that water mixing co-helical wrap. Maybe that does something to mix the water to improve performance. I also like the thermometer on the Exchilerator.

I'm looking to see if anyone has tried the SS Exchilerator and has any comments good or bad.
I'm also looking for a picture and description of how you guys with the Stout unit are attaching it to your systems. Maybe it is not so difficult but I couldn't find any pics on the web and know a few on here have gone that route.
Any other choices I should be considering? My batch size is 17 gallons and my ground water is not super cold.

Thanks!

matt_m

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There is one maybe substantial difference depending on how you want to use it. The ID of Stout inner tube is 10 mm (0.39") where the Exchillerator is 0.25". Theoretically that would allow a substantially higher flow rate if you are looking to whirlpool through the chiller. I do not get a good whirlpool in 5 gallon batches with a Riptide pump and the copper Exchillerator so I only use it for single-pass cooling to my fermenters. I usually get down to about 80 in one pass but again, that's with copper. My glycol chiller cools it the rest of the way to pitching temps before I'm done cleaning up. The Exchillerator Brutus doubles up the inner tubing but that's still just over 80% the cross section of the Stout. Personally I'd rather be able to simplify my plumbing to be able to chill and whirlpool on the same circuit but that's personal preference.

BTW, shipping is substantially different too. Stout wants $54 shipping to Michigan where Exchillerator is $10 flat rate.

Tom R

Reaction score
Hey I'm itching to buy a new piece of gear and thinking it is time to retire my old 50' copper IC. I'd like to get rid of copper as I find the LODO guys kind of persuasive enough on the issue I already got rid of the last of the copper fittings I was using upstream. I'm not interested in a plate chiller as I really only brew hoppy beers and can't imagine the agony of getting a clogged chiller at the end of a long brew day. I want to get rid of the IC after last brew when I went to remove my chiller from the wort there were two dang hornets doing the back stroke in my kettle. I want to chill with the lid on tight.

So I have my eye on either the Stout SS CFC or the Exchilerator Maxx with the SS upgrade. The Stout is cheaper as sold but looks like I'd need a lot of fittings I don't have to get it hooked up to my brewery. The Exchilerator has that water mixing co-helical wrap. Maybe that does something to mix the water to improve performance. I also like the thermometer on the Exchilerator.

I'm looking to see if anyone has tried the SS Exchilerator and has any comments good or bad.
I'm also looking for a picture and description of how you guys with the Stout unit are attaching it to your systems. Maybe it is not so difficult but I couldn't find any pics on the web and know a few on here have gone that route.
Any other choices I should be considering? My batch size is 17 gallons and my ground water is not super cold.

Thanks!
Here's my Stout. I bought garden hose adapters for the water connections, and added an instrument "T" with a tri-clamp thermometer to the wort output. I wouldn't change a thing.
IMG_0084.JPG

Tom R

Reaction score
No photos in use. But it's nothing fancy.

Kettle is connected to Riptide (which is a couple feet below kettle) with a few feet of 1/2" silicone tubing and camlocks, pump is connected with more 1/2" tubing to tri-clamp on CFC, and output of CFC has 10' of tubing with 1-1/2" TC fittings to racking arm of conical.

I run 160F PBW through it all immediately after use, then rinse, then disassemble to dry.

OP
eric19312

eric19312

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks that was sketch I came up with too. Hoses with TC on one end and cam locks on other end. I’m adding up the parts...that thermometer looks to be $50 and another $20 fo the instrument tee, plus clamps and gaskets lol it adds up.

...so with the Riptide are you getting a reasonable whirlpool when you return to the kettle?

Tom R

Reaction score
I'm not whirlpooling, I use leaf hops, so a bazooka screen works OK on the kettle drain. I'd like a false bottom like I had on my smaller BK. It's on the list.

I chill to about 80F in one pass to the conical, and glycol takes it down from there.

OP
eric19312

eric19312

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not whirlpooling, I use leaf hops, so a bazooka screen works OK on the kettle drain. I'd like a false bottom like I had on my smaller BK. It's on the list.

I chill to about 80F in one pass to the conical, and glycol takes it down from there.
ok thanks I'll wait to see if anybody is getting a reasonable whirlpool. It's key to my brewing style. I want to chill kettle to about 180 then circulate pellet hops and wort through the CFC for 30 minutes and then proceed to the fermentor in one pass.