Stainless braid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshopmike

Reaction score
So I've done a ton of reading, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for... I am using an igloo cube cooler and the drain is several inches from the bottom and the drain is angled up. I'm having a hell of a time try to get a copper manifold to stay close to the bottom, so I figured I'd try to use a braid instead. Do you think I'd have issues with proper draining if I used copper to get me down to the bottom of the cooler and attached a braid to a tee? Hope this makes sense.

It won't drain anywhere that's lower than the drain hole, unless you tip the mash tun, which would probably stir up a bunch of draff in the process. I would just count on any volume below the drain hole as dead space and adjust your water/grain bill accordingly.

I use an Igloo Ice Cube as my mash tun.

No tilting necessary.

Just use a couple of brass fiitings(nipples and elbows) to get the pickup to the bottom of the cooler.

No fuss no muss.

The best option is to have some coopper tubing go from the drain down to the floor of the cooler whether you attach a braid or manifold to it. It will cut down on the deadspace and increase your efficiency.

Back