Stainless braid as dip tube in BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
I have a flat bottom kettle and it seems i'm always waging a war with getting the last of my wort out and either not clogging my dip tube with hops or trying to find a way to filter them out.

Towards that end, I was wondering if anyone had ever used a stainless braid as a dip tube extension/filter in their BK?

Thanks!

A dip tube will siphon to the highest point at which air an enter the siphon. Braid will not work as a dip tube because it is not airtight but it could be slipped over your tube it to help screen out solids if clogging rather than breaking siphon is the problem.

ok good to know that i could be used as a screen. I'm having an issue both screening and not leaving behind a half gallon or so of wort...

A braid will clog quickly with trub and pellet hop debris. It might - maybe work with whole cone hops to help filter. Most kettle screens have much more surface area than a braid.

Back