Stainless Ball Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just scored a couple of stainless steel ball valves off ebay. The body is stainless but the stem that the handle attaches to looks to be brass as it is yellow goldish color which makes me believe that the ball is probably also brass but it is shiny silver. Is it pretty common for only the body to be stainless and will that tiny amount of brass hurt anything?

There is someone on ebay sell ball valves as stainless steel but they are not stainless steel. I made the mistake of ordering 25 only to find out the person knows they are not stainless steel. When I called him on it he refunded me half the money. I still have the ball valves. Don't have the heart to sell them.

Forrest

I hate to link to the auction. I asked the question to the seller and he said he was told they were all stainless but sees now that I pointed out the brass part that is it obviously not true. He seems to be a stand up guy and offered me a full refund. For what I paid I am gonna just keep them but I wass just curious. If I show you the picture from the auction will that show you what you need? Here was the description: This is a lot of (5) 1/2" NPT Stainless Steel Ball Valves all new and threaded on both ends, full port ........ Thanks for looking at my item !

Oh they are also supposed to be two piece valves but I sure cant get them apart to save my life using two 1" wrenches. They have a seam that sure makes em look like two piece.

They are definitely two piece. The body is nickel plated brass and the ball is chromed brass. I'm not just speculating either. I cut one of them in half. If it makes you feel any better, I let one of them sit in double strength starsan for a full month and it's still in fine shape with the plating still intact. As far as a brass valve is concerned, it's completely usable.

I hate to link to the auction. I asked the question to the seller and he said he was told they were all stainless but sees now that I pointed out the brass part that is it obviously not true. He seems to be a stand up guy and offered me a full refund. For what I paid I am gonna just keep them but I wass just curious. If I show you the picture from the auction will that show you what you need? Here was the description: This is a lot of (5) 1/2" NPT Stainless Steel Ball Valves all new and threaded on both ends, full port ........ Thanks for looking at my item !

He keeps acting like this is the first time he has heard that they are not stainless. Yet he keeps listing them as stainless steel.

He keeps acting like this is the first time he has heard that they are not stainless. Yet he keeps listing them as stainless steel.

He obviously knows he's trying to pull a fast one. Feel no remorse in calling this guy out.

I can't find the auction you guys are referring to, but it sounds like the same as what I bought for my last brew stand (not my current one in my sig). I was buying 5 units for $25. Even if they aren't SS, that was a killer deal and allowed me to make my keggles and all my manifold switching for a greatly reduced price. They're still good valves, just not full SS.

Back