Stained primary bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared36

Reaction score
Will a stained primary bucket with slight beer odor have any ill effect on final product.

Dumb question, did you soak/wash it? Mine was a little stained when I bought mine used. No problems here. Just washed really well, light staining.

I have three buckets that have had several batches in them and I usually soak them with pbw. I can never get the smell out of them. I guess I should have asked how many batches can you get out of a bucket before you retire it?

Mine its about 4 years old. However I have 1 bucket, 2 5 gallon glass carboys, 1 6.5g glass, and 4 6g better bottles. my bucket used to be the front line fermentor, now its a reserve for when my others are full. I just used it actually. About to have an IPA that was in it.

Kind of sounds similar to my fermentor stock. Just thinking of using the buckets for grain storage and was reading somewhere that stained buckets were no good for primarys. So I thought I would ask and see what everyone thought. Thanks for the response always nice to get others opinions.

let your bucket soaks 24hours + in some oxyclean....I was able to get stains out pretty well with this method

No problems here using "stained" buckets with that same odor for years. Last year got tired of the smell, and just washed them with a bleach solution for a few minutes. The stains and odours completely disappeared.

Whether you get rid of the stains or not, there is no need to retire buckets just because of a little discoloration. They will work just the same as new.

What's the stain from? Mine are all a little stained from sanitizing with Iodophor, and they all produce great beer. I've made the blood orange hefe recipe that's so famous on here and that bucket had a nice citrus aroma for a while, but it never translated into any other beers.

Back