St. Rogue Red Ale recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltown2001

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a beer in the style of Rogue's St. Rogue Red Ale. This will be an extract recipe with steeping grains. Actually this is my first time making a recipe, as I just took parts of a lot of recipes I looked at online. Anyways, what do you guys think, and what would you change or modify? Thanks

6.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 75.00 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.30 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 37.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.30 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Packman Yeast Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Bitterness: 58.2 IBU
Est Color: 13.0 SRM

It looks pretty good. You could add in a lb of a lighter crystal malt to get some of the flavor. You could probably lessen the DME a little to get the target OG of 1.051. There is a recipe in the September/October 2003 issue of Zymurgy. It is all grain.

6 lbs Great Western 2 row
1 lb Hugh Baird Munich Malt
1 lb Hugh Baird 15 L carastan malt specialty
1 lb Hugh Baird 40 L carastan malt
1 lb Hugh Baird 75 L carastan

1.5 oz Chinook (10.9% AA) 90 minute
1 oz Centenial (10.5% AA) Knockout

Hi all, came across this searching for a Rogue clone with partial mash--Smalltown, did you wind up brewing this one, and how'd it turn out? Cheers,

John

St Rogue Red is dry hopped, are you gonna dry hop??? I think they use Centennial for this.

I just brewed up a beer based upon the Rogue St. Red clone from BYO. The malt bill is almost the same but I subbed the pale for maris otter and the hops are a little different due to what I had on hand and the AA%.

Malt
7 lbs Maris Otter
1.25 lb Crystal 40
1 lb Crystal 20
.5 lb Crystal 60
.5 lb Crystal 80
Hops
.75 oz Chinook 60 min
.25 oz Palisade 60 min
.25 oz Centennial 1 min
.25 oz Amarillo 1 min
.25 oz Cascade 1 min
Mash at 155 for 60 min.
Pacman yeast

It smells great so far but I'll have to post again once its done. I'm not sure what I'll dry hop this with. Maybe Centennial.

I have been trying to use all left over hops for this one. Not sure what I want to dry hop with yet. I'm thinking Willamette since I have some. I just transferred it so I'll reply back with what I decide. The samples thus far are really good. Its gonna be super tasty when it's ready to go.

The recipe seems pretty solid. Just brew it and report back in 3 weeks. If you don't like it, dump it out and try again.

I brewed it. I kegged it and it's really good! I did end up going with willamette for the dry hops. I threw .5 oz in a stainless tea ball in the keg. It's a good beer. It has a nice balance and is very drinkable.

Latest posts

Back