St. Patty's Day question... Green Dye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a feeling you will be getting a lot of flack from beer purists and probably a few Irish for wanting to color your beer green...I think someone asked a couple days ago on a thread and got slammed...

You might want to consider wearing something like this today.

Air%20conditioned%20body%20armor%20(Large).jpg

:D

(I'm going to duck now)

If I were to do this, I would just add it when I pour the beer rather than dose a 5 gal...unless I expected to kick the whole batch in a day.

I say you made the beer and you are going to drink it, if you want it green go for it. Dont let the possibility of a little flaming from a few EAC's discourage you :D

+1 on just adding green dye. that's what they've done anywhere i've ever seen green beer

personally, i wouldn't bother, and it's not an irish tradition, i don't think the dye works really well with stout :). but as someone said - it's your beer, drink it how you like!

the_bird said:
Gonna need a LOT of dye to turn my Irish stout green...

Yeah..I'm picturing my dark dark stout and trying to imagine it ever getting to a color approximating green. With the amount of dye needed we'd be peeing green til next St. Paddy's day.

Though this looks promising.

istockphoto_1390904_irish_stout_beer_with_green_shamrock.jpg

There's a bartender at one of the bars I go to who can do a shamrock on the foam when he pours a stout.

Of course you could somehow dye the foam.

green+stout.jpg

how would one just dye the foam? or would that just be adding enough dye that one could only tell the green color would be from the foam?

peace
-gw

gerrg said:
how would one just dye the foam? or would that just be adding enough dye that one could only tell the green color would be from the foam?

peace
-gw

Actually looking at the picture, I think the entire guinness is died green...look closely. Hmm guess it can be done.

Getting plastered for St. Patrick's Day isn't an Irish tradition, either, at least not until they imported that from the U.S. :)

If you want green beer, go nuts. Don't give me any, though. I've had enough. :fro:

TL

Back