St. Patrick's Day Green Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toasted678

Reaction score
Coming up, March 17th so I better get on this one.

I want to make a batch of green beer for St. Patty's Day but unfortunately I have no desire to use 'pond scum' to make it green. :D I wanted to ask you all if you have made green beers in the past: What beer style worked the best (I'm thinking Blonde Ale)? And also how much food coloring did you use/when did you add it in? (Was it added before going in the fermentor? Would this affect the yeasties?)

I'm doing the standard 5 gallon batch, my game-plan is to brew a Blonde Ale and as I am aerating the wort before racking to the fermentor add the food coloring until I get a desired green and hope that it turns out good.

This is the kit I'm probably going to use: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/lefse-blonde-extract-kit-1.html

What do you all think?

I'd wait until the bottling bucket to add coloring. But remember, Yellow and Blue makes green, not yellow and green. I'd experiment with a couple small samples with some blue and green before adding to the whole batch.

IrregularPulse said:
I'd wait until the bottling bucket to add coloring. But remember, Yellow and Blue makes green, not yellow and green. I'd experiment with a couple small samples with some blue and green before adding to the whole batch.

That's a good point. I would've just added green myself.

Good luck, let us know how it comes out!

Blue will make something green... That can be a little surprising the next day.:fro:

I'm skipping the green thing and just brewing an irish red ale. Maybe I'll put it in green bottles. Anyone know where to get 2 cases of green bottles, cheap?

Wow great call... I was totally planning on just adding green. Thanks IP!

Me and DesertPunk need to revisit our color wheels from kindergarten... haha.

When I have pined for a green beer I add a drop or so of colour to my glass before drawing a pint. This way I don't have 20 litres of bilious-looking beer! LOL!

B

I would probably add it in the keg or bottle, since it was probably stain your bucket. Just a thought...

jbrookeiv said:
I would probably add it in the keg or bottle, since it was probably stain your bucket. Just a thought...

Unless you had a dedicated bucket for making green beer. Then the stain shouldn't bother you

We did it last year, we added blue, and we added it to the keg. It also took a lot more food coloring than you'd think.

Back