St. Paddys Day ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaworm69

Reaction score
I was hoping I could get some help on a great beer for St. Paddys Day. I volunteered the beer and I really have no experience outside of a few IPA's I brewed. I was thinking a stout, but as I said no experience. I'm an extract/partial mash brewer. Any suggestions? TIA :confused:

My wife looked through NBs catalog and chose the Irish Red Ale kit. Being of full Irish heritage may have had something to do with it. She loved it.

My wife looked through NBs catalog and chose the Irish Red Ale kit. Being of full Irish heritage may have had something to do with it. She loved it.

I thought about doing an Irish Red as well. Thanks for the suggestion. I do have 2 fermentors....maybe a red and a stout. Plan B is always a good thing! By the way I see you are my neighbor over in Medford. Do you guys have a brewshop over there?

I have brewed the NB Irish Red last year and it was great. I am doing their Irish Draught this year for st patys day/march madness.

I'd say do a red and another, lighter color beer. Stouts take more time to be mature and you want good beer to serve on St. Paddy's Day.

Since you are an extract brewer....I would certainly do a traditional Irish Stout. They turn out quite well from extract kits...and are usually one of the least expensive kits.

If you brew in the next week or so you should have plenty of time for it to be ready by March 17th. They are low gravity beers...so they ferment fast. Brew this week, leave it in primary for 3 weeks...then bottle and you will still have 5 weeks for the Stout to bottle condition.

I'd say do a red and another, lighter color beer. Stouts take more time to be mature and you want good beer to serve on St. Paddy's Day.

I don't think Dry Irish Stout ages particularly well at all. Could very easily be brewed now and ready for St. Patrick's Day.

I just made an India red today. It's the west coast blaster recipie from brewing classic styles.

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I will skip the stout all together and go with the red. NB's sounds popular here so I will give it a whirl.

I've done the Irish Red before for St. Patrick's Day - keg was gone in 6 hours!

Back