St Paddy's Day - Critique one / Suggest the other

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
So I have this Stout recipe and the I'm looking for the Red recipe. Can you guys comment on the Stout and suggest one for the Red. Cheers...

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 67.44 %
2.00 lb Barley, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.27 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.23 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.82 %
0.13 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.25 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 30.2 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Color: 25.0 SRM
Bitterness: 37.7 IBU
Mashed @ 156F
 

Ryan_PA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2006
Messages
1,878
Reaction score
22
Location
Wayne
Deff looks like a solid stout, however I would not make without an Irish Ale yeast. Personally, I'd use WL004. You could even rack the red onto the yeast cake of the stout.
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
Ryan_PA said:
Deff looks like a solid stout, however I would not make without an Irish Ale yeast. Personally, I'd use WL004. You could even rack the red onto the yeast cake of the stout.
I only use liquid yeast for Belgians/Weizens. I have an ass-load of dry yeast on hand to use up. Would you say S-04 would be better than the Nottingham?
 

Ryan_PA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2006
Messages
1,878
Reaction score
22
Location
Wayne
Soulive said:
I only use liquid yeast for Belgians/Weizens. I have an ass-load of dry yeast on hand to use up. Would you say S-04 would be better than the Nottingham?
They are darn near the same thing from my experience. I would try to convince you to hold off on the dry and brew these two with a liquid culture. You can get double milage by racking onto the primary yeast cake like I mentioned.

WL004 has a unique profile that IMHO really makes the Irish stout and the Irish red ale. I would not brew either without it.
 

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
3,310
Reaction score
17
Location
People's Republic of Cambridge
I use the Dry English yeast for my stout and it turns out perfectly. S-04 would be a decent choice but might leave it a bit too fruity. I'd highly recommend going with a liquid yeast on this one.

As for the recipe; it looks perfect to me, nice traditional stout.

For a red, check the one Pumbaa posted in the database (early on), it's very very good.
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
Ok so I'll guess I'll use the liquid this time considering I can harvest/wash it. I'll check out Pumbaa's recipe for the REd...
 

Beerrific

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2007
Messages
5,537
Reaction score
61
Location
Georgia
For the Stout:
Are you trying to make a Guinness-like dry stout? If so, I would drop the black patent and the crystal. Use only MO, flaked and roast barley (70/20/10%).

I would mash much lower than that too especially if you are using a yeast that might not attenuate very high (such as the Irish).

I think you could use Nottingham or US05. You want something that will attenuate well.

For the Red:
11.5lb MO
6 oz Crystal 40
6 oz Crystal 120
6 oz Roast Barley
Mash @ 153F
6.25AA of Kent Golding at 60 min.

I am making both the beers in the coming weeks and I will be using WLP013 London Yeast and making the Red first and repitching yeast from that into the Stout. I am doing it this way as to make sure I will have the proper amount of yeast to make the stout as dry as I want it.
 
OP
Soulive

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
Beerrific said:
For the Stout:
Are you trying to make a Guinness-like dry stout? If so, I would drop the black patent and the crystal. Use only MO, flaked and roast barley (70/20/10%).

I would mash much lower than that too especially if you are using a yeast that might not attenuate very high (such as the Irish).

I think you could use Nottingham or US05. You want something that will attenuate well.

For the Red:
11.5lb MO
6 oz Crystal 40
6 oz Crystal 120
6 oz Roast Barley
Mash @ 153F
6.25AA of Kent Golding at 60 min.

I am making both the beers in the coming weeks and I will be using WLP013 London Yeast and making the Red first and repitching yeast from that into the Stout. I am doing it this way as to make sure I will have the proper amount of yeast to make the stout as dry as I want it.
Thanks :mug:
 
Top