St. Arnold's Amber clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
I haven't brewed this yet but the real thing is pretty tasty so it's on the short list.

I saw this:
HPIM0695.jpg

when we went and toured the brewery...it helped with coming up with the clone :D

I scaled this down just a couple of points so make it more sessionable, the IBUs came down with it. Like this:

hopsgraph.jpg

Anyway here's the recipe for 5.5 gallons assuming 70% efficiency:

Grainbill:

10lb 2-row
1lb Caravienna

Hops:
.75oz Cascade (60min)
.5oz Cascade (30min)
.5oz Hallertauer(10min)*** The real recipe calls for Liberty but I've got a pound of Halleraer so I went with it

The site talks about how malty it is so I'd have to imagine it's mashed pretty high, I'll probubly do it at 155*F

Here's what th saint's got to say http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/amber.html

EDIT: They say this is fermented with thier proprietary yeast...whatever that is. I used nottingham on the Brown Ale of thiers and it came out awesome. Thier site says both beers are brewed with the same yeast so I wouldn't hesitate to use nottingham on this.

I have brewed this about 4 times and also spoke with Brock the owner of St. Arnold.

They recipe is spot on from a grain stand point

I've brewed it per his instructions with cascade at 45 and liberty at 15 and 5. Targeting about 24 ibus

Also their yeast is proprietary but have had good luck with wyeast 1968. I usually mash at 154

I am rebrewing 10 gallons in a few weeks using wyeast 1468 and wyeast 1335.

Out of curiousity, am I the only one plugging ingredients into Beersmith2 and finding the color of this falling short of what beersmith thinks the minimum style color should be?

Not that I give a damn one way or the other, it just makes me wonder if I'm missing something?

I love this beer--drank the 5HIT out of it when I was in Houston earlier this year.

Jakeintoledo said:
Out of curiousity, am I the only one plugging ingredients into Beersmith2 and finding the color of this falling short of what beersmith thinks the minimum style color should be?

Not that I give a damn one way or the other, it just makes me wonder if I'm missing something?

I love this beer--drank the 5HIT out of it when I was in Houston earlier this year.

I had the same issues. I even asked the owner for the color of his Belgian malt. I've brewed this since and sometimes I throw a bit carafa 3 on top of mash.

I think as a ordinary bitter it hits the mark. Which is really what it is

Latest posts

Back