SSBrewTech - SVBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a Pilsner today and made some of the crush tweaks and used the diffuser properly.

Brewhouse was up to 70%. I did have to boil at 85% to hit 1.5/hr loss.

Cleaning the basket is my only gripe so far, using a toothpick to pick out grain sucks. Other than that I am still loving this system.

Got in and started to clean it up, I’ll brew on it this evening.

I underestimated the size it’s taller than I envisioned, especially with the grain basket pulled out. I ordered a 34” high stainless table and will need to chop it down a bit.

Super easy to set up, the only thing was getting the mash recirculating piece connected to the TC on the bottom. That took me a minute to get both arms down in there while holding it still and tightening.

The main issue I see is the recirc diffuser doesn’t really spray water in a radius, just trickles out. If I invert that stainless cap and play with it it has the capability to, it just doesn’t by itself. Not sure yet if that’s by design but I posted a video it turned all the way up backing down and turning the valve up again.

The fan sounds louder than it is on the video, I don’t even notice it after a while.
View attachment 810731
View attachment 810732
View attachment 810733

In that first video, is that the hop blocker at the bottom? How well did that work? @coltr88

Last edited:
That’s a cool unit, looking forward to seeing some brew day video. Great design to recirc below and above the mash.

I brewed a Pilsner today and made some of the crush tweaks and used the diffuser properly.

Brewhouse was up to 70%. I did have to boil at 85% to hit 1.5/hr loss.

Cleaning the basket is my only gripe so far, using a toothpick to pick out grain sucks. Other than that I am still loving this system.
What size crush did you use? I picked one up myself, and have gotten it cleaned up. I'm waiting on a few other items to come in before I start a brew.

2023-02-11 07.53.39.jpg

Ignore the mess, I'm still finishing up my basement brewery.

What size crush did you use? I picked one up myself, and have gotten it cleaned up. I'm waiting on a few other items to come in before I start a brew.

View attachment 813413

Looks like you haven't used it yet, but what's your general impressions? I've been putting together a comparison list of the all-in-ones, and there just isn't that much info on the SVBS yet.

Looks like you haven't used it yet, but what's your general impressions? I've been putting together a comparison list of the all-in-ones, and there just isn't that much info on the SVBS yet.
My previous setup was a 110V Unibrau V1 setup I bought in 2017, that I put quite a few batches into. It's starting to have some issues with connection on the temperature probe and I've wanted to upgrade to 220V. All of my fermentation stuff, brewbuckets and glycol chiller, are SSBrewtech so that's why I went with them.

The SVBS is a hefty unit, since I don't have a sink in my basement as of yet, it's a bit of a pain to carry it up the stairs so far. But it feels nice and I like the ease of switch between the various ports on the pumps. I plan on doing some tests tonight and tomorrow for boil off, etc., and to get more familiar with the setup. I did reach out to SSBrewtech about crush size and their response was non-committal. I'm also curious to see if it's possible to do small batches with the system as well.

I did see this review this morning: Ss Brewtech SVBS Review: All-In-One Electric Brewing System I think I'll reach out to him to see what his crush size was.

My previous setup was a 110V Unibrau V1 setup I bought in 2017, that I put quite a few batches into. It's starting to have some issues with connection on the temperature probe and I've wanted to upgrade to 220V. All of my fermentation stuff, brewbuckets and glycol chiller, are SSBrewtech so that's why I went with them.

The SVBS is a hefty unit, since I don't have a sink in my basement as of yet, it's a bit of a pain to carry it up the stairs so far. But it feels nice and I like the ease of switch between the various ports on the pumps. I plan on doing some tests tonight and tomorrow for boil off, etc., and to get more familiar with the setup. I did reach out to SSBrewtech about crush size and their response was non-committal. I'm also curious to see if it's possible to do small batches with the system as well.

I did see this review this morning: Ss Brewtech SVBS Review: All-In-One Electric Brewing System I think I'll reach out to him to see what his crush size was.

Thanks for all of that, and that's a GREAT review at that link. I think I'm going to get one. The ONLY reservation I have is the batch size - I have a 10g system now. For some beers, 5g is plenty. But for my house IPA or summer pilsner, I'd probably do back-to-back batches on the SVBS.

View attachment 813413

I went .075 on my first and .05 on the second brew. I’m gonna go a little finer on my next one.

Good call on the brew cube, I’ve got one on the way as I havr mine on a 36” tall table and needed a chair to brew. It’s a hefty unit!

I still love mine, still making some tweaks to get to 70% efficiency in my brew day. I am going to try leaving the whirlpool cracked open next time to create a better flow like the short circuit guy mentioned.

Last edited:
I had been eyeing the brew cube for awhile, I had looked at other stainless steel options like stand mixer tables, etc. It's a hefty and I like it a lot.

I had a chance to do some testing over the weekend. At 75% power, I had a pretty good boil going with a boil off rate of about 1 gallon. My biggest complaint about it, is it's hard to screw in the power and controller cords if you have large hands.

2023-02-25 14.33.35.jpg

I had a chance to do some testing over the weekend. At 75% power, I had a pretty good boil going with a boil off rate of about 1 gallon. My biggest complaint about it, is it's hard to screw in the power and controller cords if you have large hands.
That has been my complaint as well.

My main knock is the software should be better. Touch screen is cool and all but it would be nice to automate and monitor on the phone, that was a big miss. Overall I still love the system.

I just did a 18lb mash and the basket was super easy to lift out and drain. I usually let it drain over the pot for 10 minutes, agitating it halfway through then just place it in a 5 gallon bucket before I clean it. Hardly collects in the bucket that would make it worth dumping it back in.

Seems to be right-sized for the market. My biggest mash was 18.5lb and it says that it will handle 20.
So for us 5-6 gal. batch brewers it seems to be about right.
I just noticed in the photos that the brackets on the basket bottom edge are used to hold the basket out of the liquid so that answers most of my question. You answered the rest thx.

Do you feel that they are missing the feature/price point balance for the more rudimentary controller?

My only other issue is that I need to rewire my table saw & compressor outlet to a L6-30 (10 ga.) from its current L6-20 size.

Did my first brew on the system yesterday. I did a crush size of 0.035" on Mighty Mill 3, well that's what the label indicates so it's probably slightly larger. With that, I got a 72% mash and a 73% brewhouse efficiency. Water drained out really quick with that, my previous system, I'd have to "squeeze" the basket to get most of the wort out.

2023-03-26 13.20.22.jpg

A few things I had to figure out mid-brew. The rubber piece on the malt pipe shouldn't be pushed down all the way. If you do, the top plate blocks the recirculation since it's coming through the middle hole. The pump is pretty strong because when I removed the top plate, a nice stream shot up about 8 inches. Lol. I did not use the whirlpool side of the pump during the mash, which I may try next time to see if I can bump that mash efficiency up.

Boil at 75% had a good boil going. I think I'll be modifying the lid to add on a steam slayer setup for my basement. Did almost have a boil over as I set it to 100% and turned away to weigh out hops, I'm use to 120V system taking a while to get to the boil.

Overall, very happy with the system. I know some complaints of in a few of the review videos was lack of online access, which for me is not a big deal and really I don't need another thing connected to our home network. I know some of the other issues people had trub filter and hops, since I was using the hop basket, didn't notice any major issues. I may try it without next time since it was a tight fit with the chiller, which I also bought.

Did my first brew on the system yesterday. I did a crush size of 0.035" on Mighty Mill 3, well that's what the label indicates so it's probably slightly larger. With that, I got a 72% mash and a 73% brewhouse efficiency. Water drained out really quick with that, my previous system, I'd have to "squeeze" the basket to get most of the wort out.

View attachment 816186

A few things I had to figure out mid-brew. The rubber piece on the malt pipe shouldn't be pushed down all the way. If you do, the top plate blocks the recirculation since it's coming through the middle hole. The pump is pretty strong because when I removed the top plate, a nice stream shot up about 8 inches. Lol. I did not use the whirlpool side of the pump during the mash, which I may try next time to see if I can bump that mash efficiency up.
View attachment 816184

Boil at 75% had a good boil going. I think I'll be modifying the lid to add on a steam slayer setup for my basement. Did almost have a boil over as I set it to 100% and turned away to weigh out hops, I'm use to 120V system taking a while to get to the boil.
View attachment 816185

Overall, very happy with the system. I know some complaints of in a few of the review videos was lack of online access, which for me is not a big deal and really I don't need another thing connected to our home network. I know some of the other issues people had trub filter and hops, since I was using the hop basket, didn't notice any major issues. I may try it without next time since it was a tight fit with the chiller, which I also bought.

Yea, I really don't care about wifi, bluetooth, and online recipe storage. I prefer manual manipulation of the equipment, and recipes are all beersmith for me. I'm buying.

"The rubber piece on the malt pipe shouldn't be pushed down all the way."

I can't find it now but I remember reading that the rubber piece should be adjusted according to the level of the liquid.... something like two inches above. The first time I used it I trusted that the trub filter would do its job so I put hops in loose. I wasn't happy with the results so I'm going back to my hop spider again. I agree with the need for a port on the lid for adding a steam slayer. I had already decided that is a mod I would do in the future. The one thing I really miss that my Anvil Foundry had was a delay start feature so I could fill the unit up the night before brewday and have it turn on to reach strike temp in the morning.

Mine is on the way. If it makes beer, I'll be happy. I used to sit next to a turkey cooker and a gas flame, I bottled haha, and I was happy. It didn't even have bluetooth - imagine! This can't be worse than that.

After building up a capable 3V brewery with a lot of kettles, bling, electronics, etc, I'm ready to regress. I guess I'm in the sunset years of the hobby.

1680905338469.png

You've just decided to make it easier on yourself.

Brewed my second beer over the weekend, Alsatian Pilsner, brew day length was ~4 hours including clean up. I had the chiller in the entire time and hung my hop basket off of the middle bar. I ground a bit finer than last time but had a lot of gunk from the grain on the bottom and through the trub filter. But didn't seem like any went into my fermenter. I might try without the hop basket next brew, I typically only use about 2 oz. Not much of an IPA brewer. Also, hit 72% for both mash and brewhouse efficiency so at least I'm consistent.

Received mine today (plus brew cube and shelf, immersion chiller, etc). It's very, very nice. It's essentially my 4th system, and the first system that wasn't kludged together by yours truly, so I guess I was impressed by the lack of kludge.

I got the brew cube assembled, fired up the SVBS. Heated water to 150. Played with the pump and various ports (recirc to the top RIMS waterfall, whirlpool. Tested the timer feature. All with water of course.

First impression: it's freaking awesome. I can't compare it to anything else except my monstrous 3 vessel 15g system. But for me, it's perfect. Brewday this weekend, I'll post here again with pics galore.

Don't forget you can also calibrate the thermo probe in the SVBS by matching it to whatever trusted thermometer you already have. Takes away the uncertainty of wondering if your strike & mash temps are really what is shown on the display.

Don't forget you can also calibrate the thermo probe in the SVBS by matching it to whatever trusted thermometer you already have. Takes away the uncertainty of wondering if your strike & mash temps are really what is shown on the display.
I'm a manual reader haha. It was in there. I don't know if I have a thermometer that I trust, but I'll at least poke one in there tonight and see how well they agree. Tonight I'm going to do another dry run. I'm going to export the graph points (csv). I'll plot in excel and pop an image in this thread when I do.

Well, actually I'll be updating the firmware first. I've got 18, and they released 19 in January. Coincidentally, one of the changes they made was to fix something with the CSV export. Wish me luck... firmware updates always make me anxious.

[edit] on second thought, I think I'll do the export with v18, then updated and do the same again. That way I can see what they changed.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/svbs-software
1681847578968.png

Thankfully, firmware upgrade was uneventful. Quick and painless. I did not notice any difference in the before and after exports. With v18, I ramped the temperature of 8.5g of water from ambient to 150F. Then, with v19, ramped from 150F to 199F.

About 20m to mash temp. About 15 from there to boil

1681859636144.png

1681859337854.png

1681859318231.png

One thing I really like about this AIO is that it all stores so neatly. They even supplied a neoprene storage hood for it. With the hood and lid removed, you can see that the mash basket, immersion chiller, and knock-out tubing/TC are all in there.

1681859721436.png
1681859738295.png

Your ramp up to mash temperature started at a higher temp than mine. I went from about 55F to 162F in 30 minutes. Ramp up to boil was about the same as yours. It reaches temp faster than my old Foundry 10.5 and I am really impressed with the chiller. The first brew used the IC from the Foundry and by the second brewday the SVBS chiller had arrived and chilled to pitching temp nearly twice as fast as the Foundry chiller.

Your ramp up to mash temperature started at a higher temp than mine. I went from about 55F to 162F in 30 minutes. Ramp up to boil was about the same as yours. It reaches temp faster than my old Foundry 10.5 and I am really impressed with the chiller. The first brew used the IC from the Foundry and by the second brewday the SVBS chiller had arrived and chilled to pitching temp nearly twice as fast as the Foundry chiller.
I have a blichman therminator. I was considering plumbing it in (mounting on bottom shelf of cube). But based on your comment, I think I'll just stick with the immersion chiller. Not really sure yet though.

Back