SSBrewTech - SVBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CleanEmUpIves

Reaction score
Any thoughts, opinions, etc.. on the new SSBrewTech SVBS system?

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/svbs
My first impression is why not build on the Braumeister concept of bottom up mash flow? Do they have a patent that is still in effect?

Things I like:

1.) 4600W / 240V
2.) Built in valves with knobs, that's pretty cool

Things I don't like:

1.) Center pipe with pump? It would be more efficient to pump the wort back up through the grain than to pump it up a pipe and have it possibly spilling around the grain bed instead of draining through the grainbed. The marketing "reason" is that at least the design won't get a stuck mash? If that's the case then a wider pipe design like the G40 might be more appropriate.
2.) $1299 for a coffee urn style system?

Last edited:
I can’t help but think competitors have eaten their lunch. This thing was announced over 4 years ago and folks like Anvil and Spike not only announced but also released their versions well within that time frame. It’s release date became a bit of a joke on the SSBT Facebook page and even I gave up waiting and bought a Solo.

That said, I think it’s cool. Very clean and streamlined.
+ I like that 3 valve manifold and currently investigating what it would take to make something similar to avoid having to move hoses around.
+ Grain basket initially looks like it fixes issue with dead space found on the Solo.
+ Controller is nice and I’m perpetually confused why more PIDs don’t have a nice modern simple interface similar to this rather than relying on the 40+ year old segmented led with a ton of non intuitive button presses.

- Suffers the same fate as all other AIO’s in that if one thing fails it pretty much becomes a paperweight. The difference though between this and things like the Foundry, Mash & Boil, etc is that it’s a 3x more expensive paperweight.
- NEMA L6-30P instead of a more standard 14-30R found in basements.
- Is that a 3/4” TC outlet? Not huge deal if true, but kind of a pain from flexibility standpoint.
- Looking at the initial renderings, it looks like you would have to tip the thing upside down to get all the water out of the plumbing after a cleaning cycle. Maybe someone with a Brau or Grainfather or something else with integrated pump can enlighten me and tell me this isn't actually an issue.

I was looking at this again today and noticed it said "vessel capacity 12 gallons"
I was wondering how long it would take for the perfect 5.5 gallon batch size AIO would be released.
I'm not a fan of the integrated element and pump setup
Looks cool. I'd never trade my solo for this tho.
I feel like they'd be able to really move these things under $1k

What did you like about this AIO over the other AIO options that lead to you pulling the trigger?
I have other SS Brewtech equipment that has worked extremely well and I like the build quality. in the SVBS There is no liquid that touches the valves... all liquid passes through a tube for lack of a better term and the valves simply squeeze them shut. The controller is not part of the kettle body that can get liquid into. No hoses to swap around. It's all internal. 4600W. Just to name a few.

It arrived today. In the pic is the SVBS side by side with my Anvil Foundry 10.5. As expected the build quality is top notch. I have had nothing but good experience with my other SS Brewtech equipment and was confident this bit of kit would be no different.

This part seems to make some butts pucker but the pump and tubing for recirculation, whirlpooling and knockout are all internal. No tubing to swap out, just close and open the appropriate valve on the unit. They call them sanitary valves because the liquor/wort flows through tubing and the valves simply squeeze on the tubing to adjust flow. The liquid never touches the internal valve parts which, if you have ever taken a ball valve apart, can get gummed up and nasty with dried wort.

The control panel is separate. No more worrying about getting moisture inside when cleaning the kettle! The only drawback in comparison to the Foundry is that it does not have a delay start feature. No more filling the night before and waking up to strike water ready to go. However with the control panel being a modular part I am hoping that this will be an optional upgrade in the future. One thing I really do like about the control panel however is the ability to save presets for mash temperature and power settings for the boil. You can set your strike temp and save it also set your mash temp and save that too. It looks to have three presets available so you could use the third for a step setting or mashout. Power output presets could be 100% to reach a boil and then 60% or whatever you like to run your unit at during the boil. I'm guessing you could also set one to use during the mash? Another feature of the control panel is that it has a temperature correction feature. Place a couple gallons of water in the unit and measure the temperature with a known, calibrated thermometer. You can then adjust the control panel temperature reading to match your calibrated reading.

The power cord plugs into the body of the kettle which should make cleaning easier. For those who see the Foundry's ability to use either 120v or 240v as a plus the SVBS only works with 240v. Personally however, I don't see using 1120v as any kind of advantage.

The unit uses a pump filter ring inside the kettle. Basically a hop dam. This feature along with the built in whirpooling has me excited to start adding my hops directly in the boil for the first time in a long time. We shall see.

I want to build an equipment profile for Beersmith before I brew with it which might not be until next week. I will keep you posted.

Attachments

• 324932154_850837455990962_3865745625765930833_n.jpg
    324932154_850837455990962_3865745625765930833_n.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have other SS Brewtech equipment that has worked extremely well and I like the build quality. in the SVBS There is no liquid that touches the valves... all liquid passes through a tube for lack of a better term and the valves simply squeeze them shut. The controller is not part of the kettle body that can get liquid into. No hoses to swap around. It's all internal. 4600W. Just to name a few.
I just saw the same pic (your most recent post above) when I checked my FB feed. I guess your broken Foundry also played a role in your decision making process. Good luck with the new system.

So I guess this is my hangup- it’s a cool piece of kit. Lot of proprietary stuff though. And we’re still not sure how to access internals. Here is the manual: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0239/5187/files/2022_SVBS-ProductGuide-01032023.pdf?v=1672867876

It confirms something that I was originally curious about which is how the valve manifold is plumbed. It’s just silicon hose and constant tension hose clamps.
AAE2B0E6-DC6E-4832-9629-7AFC1CB20D4D.jpeg

So what happens if you have a leak? If you need to deep clean? If the SSR burns out? It’s still a bit of a mystery.

I don't know how hard it is to access but they do say it is serviceable by the user.
So...will you take a picture of the bottom of the unit so we can see? You don't have to take the cover off, but it would be nice to know what to expect.

Also, how long is the power cable?

Have you done any heating tests yet? Done anything with the PID setup? There are no other reviews out there so anything you can share would be greatly appreciated.

So I guess this is my hangup- it’s a cool piece of kit. Lot of proprietary stuff though. And we’re still not sure how to access internals. Here is the manual: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0239/5187/files/2022_SVBS-ProductGuide-01032023.pdf?v=1672867876

It confirms something that I was originally curious about which is how the valve manifold is plumbed. It’s just silicon hose and constant tension hose clamps.
View attachment 810522

So what happens if you have a leak? If you need to deep clean? If the SSR burns out? It’s still a bit of a mystery.

I'm not completely sure what your concerns are, as most SS Brewtech stuff is fairly straight forward. Until Kevin58 can share more details, it should be safe to assume that everything will be accessible (under a bottom plate?) and replaceable. Again, not sure what your concerns about leaks are, but looking at the same valve design for the InfuSsion Mash Tuns, it looks like you should be able to get in there and tighten things up, replace a clamp or hose if needed.
SSBT_Valve.jpg

The image you posted from the quick guide does not look like their CAD file, but a model to give you the gist of the layout. Knowing SS Brewtech, I would 'assume' that the manifold is SS and the valves (pictured above) mount directly to it. Knowing how the valves work, conceptually, a deep clean should be super straight forward.

I REALLY want to know how a brew day goes for ANYONE who has one now. How fine can you crush your grain? How consistent is temp control? Stuck mash? Clogged pump? What are your efficiencies (SS Brewtech seems to list a pretty low mash efficiency of 69% compared to many who make 80%+claims from their BrewTools/Brewzillas/Anvils/etc.)? Is it a hassle to have to sanitize the knockout port before your brew day even begins?

Knowing SS Brewtech, I would 'assume' that the manifold is SS and the valves (pictured above) mount directly to it. Knowing how the valves work, conceptually, a deep clean should be super straight forward.
I’m going to bet a cold one that these are not SS and are silicon hose with constant pressure clamps, like the pic in the manual.

My concern is simply how hard is it to maintain and clean this thing. At first I thought the manifold thing was cool. Now I’m trying to figure out how it’s an advantage over similar systems that provide easier access to these pieces on the outside (at the expense of being less cool looking). The question remains, how do you access the internals? Those valves have removable linings. Are they they same valves as the ones SS sells for $70? I’m thinking there is a good chance they may be different/smaller. If so, where do you get replacement liners?

@rojack Got a pic of the bottom. Lots of screws but accessible.

The power cord is just over 4.5 feet.

I did do a boil rate test the other day and it took just over 30 minutes to go from household tap temp to a full boil. (And even though SS Brewtech says the boil off rate is 1 gal/hr my results were closer to 1.5 gal/hr. I brought it up to a boil at 100% power then throttled back to 75% for the remainder of the test.)

There is no set up of the control panel. Just turn it on and scroll through a couple of opening screen messages about safety. Once past those choose your function and temp settings.

Every day this week I've thought I was going to be able to brew but something has always come up. Who knew you'd have so little time after retiring? The only other thing I've had a chance to do is give it a good cleaning.

I guess I get the concerns about leaks and such but it really isn't much different than other AIO units. There are lots of parts inside that can go wrong and ruin your brew day. But we bite the bullet and hope things don't break. There should be no reason other than malfunction to get at anything inside. The tubing would be cleaned just like any other silicone tubing... run hot cleaner followed by sanitizer through it. Since the liquor/wort only flows through the silicone and never touches the internal mechanical workings of the valves that is all you ever need to clean... the silicone.

Note that fan on the bottom of the unit... it is on from the moment you power up the SVBS until you turn it off and while not overly loud it is noticeable. If you make YouTube videos like I do it could be an issue.

Attachments

• SVBS_8262.jpg
    SVBS_8262.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 0
Again, I don't have one yet, but in order to compare to other AIO systems I did create 2 profiles in Brewfather (Build Equipment Profile). You cannot import a bsmx into the Brewfather equipment profiles, but I opened the bsmx files from SS Brewtech in a text editing app to set up the following profile. Note, this is for their "12lbs" profile, you need to change the Mash-Tun Deadspace to 4 gallons for the 18lbs profile. They mention this here Configuring Brewing Software for the SVBS.

SSBT_SVBS_12lb-Brewfather-Equip-Profile2.jpg

Their claim of 69% efficiency seems low, so I would like to know what you see. Other notes about the profile where you will want to personalize include Hopstand Temp, Altitude Adjustment (Altitude/Boil Temp), Water/Grain Ratio (Mash/Sparge Water) and Room Temp and Grain Temp under Calc Strike Water Temp.

Disclaimer, I currently run an electric 3-vessel system and have not manipulated AIO profiles. This is simply what was in the SS Brewtech files.

I hope this helps.

Edited with better image

Last edited:
I've been wondering about the black rubber square on the lid myself. If anyone finds out what is for please post here.
I wish they had provided a lid with TC fitting so I could use a steam slayer.

Edit: I just sent an email to them asking about the lid.

Last edited:
Perusing the documentation on the SS Brewtech website I notice something interesting... the software on the control panel can be updated to "add new features, make improvements, and squash any bugs that may pop up."

Jeez...I've been answering all these questions about the SVBS - I should just buy it already, but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger until I see a video or hear about other's first-hand experiences.

Edit: It looks like I have a few replies that contain links and images that you have not yet seen because they are being reviewed by moderators.

1) I have shared the Brewfather profile and info
2) The black plastic covers the hole that the optional immersion chiller goes through

Last edited:
How do you take the bsmx files and build a Brewfather equipment profile?
I don't know if things have changed, but initially bsmx was it's own proprietary format. You have to open them in Beersmith and then re-export to xml in order to open them in Brewfather.

my shipping was delayed a day :
Again, I don't have one yet, but in order to compare to other AIO systems I did create 2 profiles in Brewfather (Build Equipment Profile). You cannot import a bsmx into the Brewfather equipment profiles, but I opened the bsmx files from SS Brewtech in a text editing app to set up the following profile. Note, this is for their "12lbs" profile, you need to change the Mash-Tun Deadspace to 4 gallons for the 18lbs profile. They mention this here Configuring Brewing Software for the SVBS.

View attachment 810630

Their claim of 69% efficiency seems low, so I would like to know what you see. Other notes about the profile where you will want to personalize include Hopstand Temp, Altitude Adjustment (Altitude/Boil Temp), Water/Grain Ratio (Mash/Sparge Water) and Room Temp and Grain Temp under Calc Strike Water Temp.

Disclaimer, I currently run an electric 3-vessel system and have not manipulated AIO profiles. This is simply what was in the SS Brewtech files.

I hope this helps.

Edited with better image
thanks! My shipping got delayed without a ETA… so it might not be tomorrow now.

Got in and started to clean it up, I’ll brew on it this evening.

I underestimated the size it’s taller than I envisioned, especially with the grain basket pulled out. I ordered a 34” high stainless table and will need to chop it down a bit.

Super easy to set up, the only thing was getting the mash recirculating piece connected to the TC on the bottom. That took me a minute to get both arms down in there while holding it still and tightening.

The main issue I see is the recirc diffuser doesn’t really spray water in a radius, just trickles out. If I invert that stainless cap and play with it it has the capability to, it just doesn’t by itself. Not sure yet if that’s by design but I posted a video it turned all the way up backing down and turning the valve up again.

The fan sounds louder than it is on the video, I don’t even notice it after a while.

Attachments

• 50031D38-F0FC-4E12-8560-A770095A7752.jpeg
    50031D38-F0FC-4E12-8560-A770095A7752.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 66182B18-C7CA-4A19-A485-5A2E443E39C8.jpeg
    66182B18-C7CA-4A19-A485-5A2E443E39C8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2B59462E-B5CD-4902-9641-23FDEE9CE6FB.jpeg
    2B59462E-B5CD-4902-9641-23FDEE9CE6FB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 16ACD5EB-CFBC-4E10-A331-D3D303E2C42D.jpeg
    16ACD5EB-CFBC-4E10-A331-D3D303E2C42D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
So I wasn’t pushing the basket down enough to get a good seal on my water test. There’s a little resistance pushing it down, not sure if it’s the right fit or the recirc seal, but it increased water flow quite a bit. Problem is I was playing with the diffuser cap and dropped it in the mash right before I figured that out. :/

I tried to fish it out but I can’t find it, doh!

So I had 62% efficiency. I didn’t crush my grains as fine as I usually do and I ended up with 1/2 gallon more than planned.

I boiled at 60% and lost a gallon when I was expecting a 1.5 gal loss, I’ll ramp it up next time to 75%.

I’ll crush finer also, I set it to .075 and it didn’t have any issues recirculating with 14 lbs of mash at 2qts/lb. I’ll keep that ratio and try .05 on the mill.

So I had 62% efficiency. I didn’t crush my grains as fine as I usually do and I ended up with 1/2 gallon more than planned.

I boiled at 60% and lost a gallon when I was expecting a 1.5 gal loss, I’ll ramp it up next time to 75%.

I’ll crush finer also, I set it to .075 and it didn’t have any issues recirculating with 14 lbs of mash at 2qts/lb. I’ll keep that ratio and try .05 on the mill.
Great feedback! Thanks.

To clarify, was that mash efficiency or brewhouse efficiency.

Are you generally happy with your new gear?

Great feedback! Thanks.

To clarify, was that mash efficiency or brewhouse efficiency.

Are you generally happy with your new gear?
Brewhouse.

Yeah I love it so far, but this is my first all in one so I don’t have a comparison to a different unit. It was easy to brew, clean and looks badass.

Watching this thread! I have a 3V system and am curious on how you guys like it. Thinking of simplifying with limited time and little kids running around the house.

The ID of the kettle is 13 11/16” so I don’t think the 10 gal lid would fit, it would be really close.

Well my planned brew day for this past Monday got scrapped when my grandson got sick and we had to go help take care of him so his parents could go to work. So I tried on Tuesday and in the middle of brewing I started feeling sick. I plowed through and finished the brew day but I didn't take any notes. I just wanted it to be over.

The few observations I made were... the power cable and the control panel cord are difficult to attach to the SVBS. The space where they plug in is recessed and I find it difficult getting my hands in there to twist the connectors tight. Perhaps it will get easier to do as I become more familiar with the unit.

The time from turning on the power to a strike temperature was just about 30 minutes (from 53° to 162°)

Beyond that I stopped paying attention to anything other than hop schedules, chilling and pitching yeast.

I'm sure my preboil gravity was higher than estimated but that's not a surprise since I set my BH efficiency at a conservative 72%. I can't say for sure what the pre boil gravity actually was since I didn't take a reading until post boil which was 1.084 when it should have been 1.074.

I was also a bit low (but not low enough to account for the OG difference). After reaching a boil I reduced the power setting from 100% to 75%. I will try boiling at 60% to 65% next time to see if I get closer to the 1.5gal/hr that I have set in my equipment profile.

The SVBS reaches temp a lot quicker than my Anvil Foundry does and I walked away for a bit after setting the SVBS to boil and returned to a nice boil over... which may be responsible for my lower ending volume. Don't make my mistake.

I'm still not feeling 100% so I haven't even been downstairs to clean up which should be fun after several days. I did let my video camera run during most of the brew day and might be able to cobble together a video for my Youtube channel (No Stress Brewing) once kegging and carbonation are complete.

Back