SS Mash tun different finish to it's brew pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsearle

Reaction score
Maybe this has been asked before so apologies if so.

I'm in the process of putting together a new brewing set up after a hiatus whilst renovating our new house. I've been going back and forth on the pots to use but keep coming back to the SS Brewtech system (2 pots and the mash tun).

The main thing that bothers me about them is that from seeing videos and pictures online the mash tun seems to be a different finish to the other pots, which somewhat spoils the appearance in my opinion. I want a permanent showpiece brewing setup, so I'm wondering if anyone has these vessels and tell me how different they actually are in the flesh? It seems like maybe they use a different supplier for one so it is more polished than the other? Also the handles are orientated a different way but I guess this could be so the pots can be put closer together?

I know I'm probably being stupid when I'm sure they're great vessels, but having all that shiny stainless brings out the kid in me so I want it to look as great as it works!

Thanks,

Matt

Lets start with the fact that the weldless bulkhead on the kettles suck so bad I wouldn't suggest entertaining them as a choice. If you plan to run it as a HERMS, you dont need the insulated tun.

Electric or gas?

Lets start with the fact that the weldless bulkhead on the kettles suck so bad I wouldn't suggest entertaining them as a choice. If you plan to run it as a HERMS, you dont need the insulated tun.

Electric or gas?

Ah really that's interesting I don't think I've heard that about the bulkheads before. There are suppliers here in the uk that put together their own setups that I've also been looking at, but I'd thought I would be getting a better product with the SS so it may be worth the extra expense, but perhaps not?

It will be electric.

I second the redundancy of using an insulated mash tun with a herms or rims... Its like wearing a raincoat indoors to keep you dry. it just adds more work at cleanup time for no gain at this size. The insulation is there to keep mash tun temp from falling when you dont have a way to heat it and control temps. Herms or rims alone can not only keep mash tun temp but also increase it...
SS does make a heating pad kit for the MT to use in place of the herms but its only powerful enough to maintain not really effectively raise or stepmash from what Ive read here.

Last edited:

Electric or gas?

I have two SS Brewtech kettles and haven't had a problem with the weldless bulkheads. I have added silicone o-rings and and washers to mine similar to Blichmann to them so maybe that's the difference. Why do you say they "suck so bad?"

I am intending to use Herms and appreciate it may be redundant, but intend for the pump to only kick in when/if the temperature drops or for steps mashs etc rather than running constantly (in the interests of the planet, so make of that what you will). Therefore I'd like an insulated mash tun ideally.

I have two SS Brewtech kettles and haven't had a problem with the weldless bulkheads. I have added silicone o-rings and and washers to mine similar to Blichmann to them so maybe that's the difference. Why do you say they "suck so bad?"
I've only heard good things about SS so was surprised to hear that they were that bad? Would you recommend the SS kettles overall?

more on the weldless... for the money spent welded fittings really should be standard. also, they drill the recirc port on the side, which i hate... i'd prefer it to be a 45deg or straight out the front. Most people put their pots side-by-side so it just gets in the way.

As to the insulation, if you have RIMS or HERMs that's just wasted money. It does help...if you want to stop recirc it will maintain the temps better... if you're trying to LODO brew or something.

The only thing that I like about that MLT is the bottom drain... there is no unrecoverable space and it's easier to clean for me in that regard.

Went from a cooler to the Ss mash tun- love it. I do HERMS with it and have had great success maintaining temps and getting very clear wort with high efficiencies (85-90%). Step mashing is another story, HERMS just isn’t the thing for steps because it is slow, but I’m talking 10 gallon batches so it is a little more difficult. No kettles from SS, but thought I’d share that the MLT is awesome. I had stuck sparges every brew day even with rice hulls and a thinner mash, not one yet with this thing. I got the 20gal, only downside is I’ve yet to find out if I can still do a 5 gal batch (in theory it seems to be too short a grain bill in the MLT).

I am intending to use Herms and appreciate it may be redundant, but intend for the pump to only kick in when/if the temperature drops or for steps mashs etc rather than running constantly (in the interests of the planet, so make of that what you will). Therefore I'd like an insulated mash tun ideally.
Your going to find that kicking the pump on and off to maintain mash temps isnt ideal.. it just doesnt work well compared to using it the way it was intended.

As to the insulation, if you have RIMS or HERMs that's just wasted money. It does help...if you want to stop recirc it will maintain the temps better... if you're trying to LODO brew or something.

What I discovered after putting a layer of reflectix insulation around my MLT was that it ramps up faster. Especially if I'm brewing in the garage and the temps are lower, it helps. I also let it sit on some foamboard insulation, so no heat is being lost to the bench.

It's not necessary, but it helps.

BTW, it helps with the BK too. It simply reduces lost heat to the sides.

brewarea10gallon.jpg

The only thing that I like about that MLT is the bottom drain... there is no unrecoverable space and it's easier to clean for me in that regard.

Wish I had that. I'm always a little amazed at how much wort remains. All I need is a MLT with a bottom drain and a slight conical depression in the bottom leading to that drain...

something to mention here is unlike the SS insulated tun, the reflectix doesnt make the MT weight almost 40 pound empty and so bulky its not easy to empty.. that can be a big hassle for slightly faster step mashing times, especially when so few actually step mash.
I have 3 gallons under my FB but when im done sparging theres no wasted wort.. just additional sparge water under there and the 91% brewhouse efficiency im averaging tell me the space under the FB is not a concern., that said I would love all my kettles to be bottom draining at home but the only company to make a professional electric home brewing setup like this is the company that makes them for stout and affordable distilling to sell.. If I wanted the best setup I would go with the larger version of these honestly.. although its also going to be heavy it wont be as bulky or hard to dump.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Gallon-M...991671?hash=item3f4aa0cc37:g:XVgAAOSwBLlVKDCV having true sanitary fittings and ports and sloped bottoms with bottom drains and tangical whirlpool ports.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Gallon-...889041?hash=item3f5bc9c351:g:YT8AAOSw--1WsSNK

As others have mentioned, for the cost involved, theres no good reason this equipment should be using weldless fittings. we should be demanding better for this kind of coin.

Last edited:
OK thanks mate. Are you using one for hlt and one for boil then, or have you ever used it for a mash tun?

The former. I'm still using a Gott cooler for my mash tun. I spent enough on my system and that was a place I didn't have to spend anything.

I'm planning on getting an SS BrewTech mash tun. Hopefully for Christmas.

Your going to find that kicking the pump on and off to maintain mash temps isnt ideal.. it just doesnt work well compared to using it the way it was intended.
Fair enough that's for the info. I've seen it done but not very much. I'm not married to that idea at all so may opt for standard Herms yet, in which case perhaps I'll just get 3 kettles. As someone else said though the bottom drain is a big plus for me.

more on the weldless... for the money spent welded fittings really should be standard. also, they drill the recirc port on the side, which i hate... i'd prefer it to be a 45deg or straight out the front. Most people put their pots side-by-side so it just gets in the way.

Yes I'd like welded or tri clamp ideally. There a supplier her in the UK that's sells triclamp pots for pretty reasonable prices so im also considering those.

The bottom drain is also a big plus for me in considering a purpose built mash tun.

^people do it, just not many here. I do it at the brewery but when I homebrewed I didnt do it often. then again, I have a rims so insulation to speed it up is not a concern.

Last edited:
Back