SS Conical Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Hi

Currently using a DIY plastic conocal with ss sight glass and fittings. I yield a 15 1/2 gallon batch using a converted refrigerator as a fermentation chamber.

Would like to upgrade to ss. Any recommendations? Still want the same volume.

Thanks

What is your budget? From there I'm sure we can get a good idea of recommendations. Also how tall of a space in the fridge can this occupy.

Top of mind right now:
Spike Brewing: Best Budget Friendly and best quality.
Brewers Hardware: Best Quality, its going to hurt in the wallet if you buy it.
Stout Tanks: Good Quality, tough return policy, medium pricepoint
Glacier Tanks: Excellent Quality, Extremely high price, amazing features. Really going to hurt the wallet.

I'm happy with my Brewershardware 20g conical. Great quality, features and easy to clean.

I'm happy with all the SSBrewTech stuff I have after a dozen or more brews. Very convenient to use for sampling during fermentation, dumping trub, harvesting yeast and easy to clean though I would recommend the new butterfly valves for even easier cleaning.

Thanks for the responses.

My budget is open. I am an experienced brewer that looks for a yield of 15 gallons. Having built much of my equipment over the years, and proud of that, I am now upgrading in a systematic way. I planned a strategy to get me to my brewery capacity within a dedicated brewery. Having accomplished that I seek to upgrade all parts and pieces of my brewery to the next level.

Thanks

I would highly recommend the SSBrewTech equipment. I have a conical with the heating/cooling setup....works perfectly. Within a degree of my set fermentation temperature at all times.

Thanks for the responses.

My budget is open. I am an experienced brewer that looks for a yield of 15 gallons. Having built much of my equipment over the years, and proud of that, I am now upgrading in a systematic way. I planned a strategy to get me to my brewery capacity within a dedicated brewery. Having accomplished that I seek to upgrade all parts and pieces of my brewery to the next level.

Thanks

Glacier is top of the line but they stopped making anything smaller than 1BB conicals, so Perhaps that is out.

Brewers Hardware has a 20G: $1,050 respectively before shipping

Spike has Conicals but they are not yet available for sale: but the largest is a 1/2BB which would be a tough fit for a 15g batch $675 (That would likely leave 2g of head space)... So unless you can get them to custom make you one that is 20g or larger, Spike is out. By the way I notice that you are from Wisconsin. Spike manufactures and builds all his equipment right outside of Milwaukee, WI. So if you are into supporting local, there is no better place to do that!

SS Brewtech makes a 1/2BB and a 1BB however, I will continue to say this. Weldless ports are just another area where you can introduce nasties to the wort and beer. If you are going to be spending in excess of $1K for something (which SS Brewtech's 1BB is) I would prefer it to be a completely sanitary design and future proof.

If it was my money and I was upgrading so I could purposefully always churn out 15G at a time and never have to worry about anything, which it sounds like you are moving towards, as much as I love Spike for all their products, until I see a final version of what the 1/2BB will end up like, My money is on the Brewers Hardware 20G.

It has a 8" Manway on the top where you can easily install a CIP ball for easy cleaning. It would be future-proof and it is top of the line.

Latest posts

Back