SS Chugger Pump borken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruteforce

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, my ss chugger pump is dead-ish. When I plug it in, I can see the fan twitch, hear the motor hum but not move, fan doesn't move.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong? I'll take it apart tonight, hopefully figure it out, but I'm not the handiest with this sort of thing.

Take the head off the pump and then plug it in to see if the motor will turn. Sometimes, old sticky wort left in the head will keep the motor from turning. Hopefully a quick clean will get you back on track...

It is probably sticky wort in impeller. Try flushing with hot PBW and Starsan but if that doesn't work then you'll need to take it apart.

Perhaps @joshesmusica can help you he speaks the Borkin language.

Disassemble and clean should fix your issue but don't keep hitting the power, quick way to kill it.

Thanks folks. Disassemble complete. Don't disassemble things near a sink. I had to disassemble the garbage disposal to get a screw back. Pump is working great again after mucking it out.

I disassemble my wort pump after every brew day (don't generally bother with my water pump). Used to run hot PBW solution through my pumps, but that got old and just added time to my brew day. Now I just take it apart, drop it into a bucket with hot water from my plate chiller, and it is clean as a whistle for the next brew day. Easy as pie to take apart and put together, so I highly recommend that you do this each time you brew. Best of luck!

I disassemble my wort pump after every brew day (don't generally bother with my water pump). Used to run hot PBW solution through my pumps, but that got old and just added time to my brew day. Now I just take it apart, drop it into a bucket with hot water from my plate chiller, and it is clean as a whistle for the next brew day. Easy as pie to take apart and put together, so I highly recommend that you do this each time you brew. Best of luck!

I have to disassemble as well, same with the ball valves, can never get them clean with recirculation.

Back