SS CFC chiller-number of paases?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki-ri-n

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To those ussing a SS CFC chiller, how many passes are you doing?

I have a 25 foot SS chiller I use with a pump and about 50-54 degree chilling water. I recirculate until the boil kettle reaches pitching temp. But it takes nearly 30 gallons to do this. Is this extreme?

Pump and chilling water are usually both at "max".

Last edited:
If you have a way to monitor the temp of the chiller output, when the chiller output is at your pitching temp, stop the pump, switch the outlet to the fermenter, and let 'er rip.

I run directly from the boil kettle through the chiller and into the fermenter. You have to throttle the cfc or pump outlet way down with chilling water that warm but it does work. I tried it both ways and it just seems like I have more control over the temp going into the fermenter when it’s not recirculating back through the boil kettle.

heh so I was wondering this same thing and I realized I was not using my chiller effectively at all.

I added a T with a probe to my output and the difference between the output and kettle probe is 40-50°

The flow rate at which the wort exists the chiller has a dramatic effect as well. The slower the flow of wort the more effective the chiller will be. This is problematic if you are slowly recirculating back to the kettle because the cooled wort is entering the hot kettle at a pace that isn't sure efficient for cooling a whole batch.

The last couple brew days I rand my pumps for 5 minutes post boil to sanitize the chiller then started my chiller water I kept my wort output 3/4 open and got into the 100° in 5 minutes or so. At that point I switch to a Ice bath pump and with the wort at 1/4 - 1/2 ish open I pump straight to my fermentor. I can drop to 45°-68° window depending on what im doing.

The downside to this is trub makes it into the fementor you do get a good cone of trub but because I'm not giving the wort time to settle there is still a fair amount of break in the wort. I have a conical so when I use it I can just dump the break material before pitching.

When I dont use the conical i try and chill all the way down and then let it rest but that easily adds 30 - 40 minutes.

I have an all electric rig. 2 PIDS. One for boil and one on the output of the RIMS tube. I have been using a regular probe thermometer for checking the mash temp (vs the PID temp on the RIMS output). I was going to add another temperature control to the panel and use that with a dedicated probe for mash temp. If I unplug it and plug into different probe (for monitoring exit temp from the CFC), could the probes have a differential between them? My panel is barely big enough to add 1 additional controller, much less 2.

It should have been 50°-54° chilling water in the OP.

Last edited:
Back