SS Brewtech Pure Flow Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangersBrew

Reaction score
Anyone use the pure flow valve by ss brewtech? Wanted to know your opinion on it. Was possibly thinking of using it on my brew kettle instead of a ball valve. Thanks.

Attachments

• 3163AC9E-7366-4293-BB08-FA9413A89D36.png
    3163AC9E-7366-4293-BB08-FA9413A89D36.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 141
I've never seen these before but that's a pretty interesting concept. Easy to CIP, compact, and inexpensively rebuildable.

I couldn’t find them any place other than Ssbrewtech.

I’m interested.

Anyone use the pure flow valve by ss brewtech? Wanted to know your opinion on it. Was possibly thinking of using it on my brew kettle instead of a ball valve. Thanks.
I haven’t tried these but thought about it. If you’re considering these for throttling flow rate or ease of cleaning sure, a diaphragm valve is pretty good. In my case decided on the Blichmann linear flow valves and like them; wouldn’t change. And they’re much less expensive.

https://www.blichmannengineering.com/tri-clamp-g2-valve.html
I have NPT version since I don’t use TC on hot-side. Brian from Shortcircuitedbrewers has a good YouTube video on the Blichmann valves.

If you don’t see the SSBT diaphragm valve do word search on site. Not everything shows up on site screens, especially obscure replacement parts.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/valve-tc-slim-micro-adjust-valve?_pos=1&_sid=d00425b49&_ss=r
Cheers 🍻

Cheaper to buy their valve tree if you need multiple of them.

At 72 dollars per valve, I’m going to have to real desperate for a change.

Yea def a little pricy for the ss valve but both look really nice for ease of cleaning and flow control. I like how you can clean the diaphragm really easily as well. That is quite the discount with the valve tree.

Yea def a little pricy for the ss valve but both look really nice for ease of cleaning and flow control. I like how you can clean the diaphragm really easily as well. That is quite the discount with the valve tree.
Yeah that’s a nice discount when buying the tree! 😁

I would say this though: the Blichmann LFV is equally easy to clean IMHO. Don’t get me wrong, I like the diaphragm valve & have one from different manufacture, but the LFV throttles extremely well and very simple to clean. And only 2 silicone o-rings to replace if/when needed.

Diggin’ the SSBT valve tree through. If I had a hard piped permanent set-up I’d grab one! 😎

Cheers 🍻

I'm still considering... the Blichmann LFV valves on my Riptides are just a little too much of a ball ache to match during sparging... i'd love to see if these valves are a lot easier to match and fine tune the flows...

I ended up getting one of the ss valves and really like it. It can be tricky taking the silicone part in and out but it’s not too bad.

I'm still considering... the Blichmann LFV valves on my Riptides are just a little too much of a ball ache to match during sparging... i'd love to see if these valves are a lot easier to match and fine tune the flows...
Any more detail on your ball ache, @alphakry? I'm wanting to repeatably set a nice slow flow rate out of my MT, and (speaking of balls) my ball valve on pump outlet doesn't make that easy, as I haven't found a cheap flow meter / rotameter.

Any more detail on your ball ache, @alphakry? I'm wanting to repeatably set a nice slow flow rate out of my MT, and (speaking of balls) my ball valve on pump outlet doesn't make that easy, as I haven't found a cheap flow meter / rotameter.
we're probably having similar experiences. fine tuning the riptide pump flows just isn't as easy as it should be. sometimes the difference between too much or too little is the tiniest ball hair of a turn! (lol sorry, sticking to the theme i guess... balls.)

I have the Pure Flow (4 of them for my Valve Tree) and Blichmann Flow Valve. Comparing the two, Pure Flow must be the easiest to clean of all valves i have tried, as is just one diaphragm so no need to dissamble or need extra gasket. The only downside it is propietary and only available on sillicon from SS Brewtech, so no Buna-N or EPDM. Blichmann's Flow valve are also easy to clean and useful on places where eyou need 90 degree bend, also just need two o-ring gasket which can be found on many materials.

I just bit the bullet and ordered the valve tree kit which gets me 4 of the valves and 9 of tri clamps for less than buying the 3 valves and 5 tri clamps I needed. I'll put all the extra parts away for my next great idea at process improvement lol. I also ordered a set of replacement diaphragms since its proprietary as @duelerx mentioned. If Blichmann made a straight version of their valve I'd probably have gone that route.

This came with the 20gal triclamp SS brewtech mash tun. I use it for two things.. one precision flow control for mash transfer to BK during fly sparge, and also throw it on after a butterfly valve on a conical for slow yeast collection. Very simliar to a diaphragm valve used in larger setups.

Not sure its really worth the solo price, but its a decent piece of gear.

Attachments

• 20220104_213947.jpg
    20220104_213947.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 36
Mine came today. Haven't brewed with them but overall seem very nice. They could definitely have used a coarser pitch thread but I suspect there won't be much difference between half open and fully open. Definitely more compact than the ball valves I had.

we're probably having similar experiences. fine tuning the riptide pump flows just isn't as easy as it should be. sometimes the difference between too much or too little is the tiniest ball hair of a turn! (lol sorry, sticking to the theme i guess... balls.)

I avoid the whole dueling riptides with auto sparge on the backend of one in the mash tun, and set the flow rate running into the auto sparge higher than exiting the Mashtun (but not so high that the pressure jams the auto sparge float to a full open position). The mashtun exit flow rate is set via sight glass that serves as a manometer of sorts showing pressure drop over the grain bed… drops below where I can see it, compacting the grain bed too much and heading for a stuck mash!

Back