Ss Brewtech glycol chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resto3

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals,

I am about to purchase the Ss Brewtech glycol chiller. Anyone here have it and can provide feedback? Also is there anything in the market like it that is more affordable? Any replies are greatly appreciated!

You can buy the same chiller that ss brewing sells only without the rebranding for a bit less with its original branding from a few places last I looked. It also comes with the powerful main pump that ss brewing has removed when they order the ones they sell to get them cheaper even though they sell them for more.. The ss brewing controller also uses the little $20 pond pumps so they dont need the single large pump but its nice to have if you decide to go with a single manifold with multiple conicals running off it like all the micro/nano setups use.

Virtually identical but it has a 2 gallon reservoir vs, Ss Brewtech's 3 Gallon. I wonder if that makes a difference.
I would say that could be from the pump that normally sits in the tank but it looks like this ais a rebranded version too as the original was black and had a pump.

I was looking at the penguin. I had a conversation with SSBT and they did not have good things to say about it. Take that for what its worth, but made me skittish enough that I bought the SSBT. I have a lot of their other equipment and it has always performed well and when I have had issues the support has been excellent. It will be here Monday and I cant wait.

I was looking at the penguin. I had a conversation with SSBT and they did not have good things to say about it. Take that for what its worth, but made me skittish enough that I bought the SSBT. I have a lot of their other equipment and it has always performed well and when I have had issues the support has been excellent. It will be here Monday and I cant wait.
Wait, isnt the penguin chiller from the same manufacturer as the one they sell? Of course they would have bad things to say. its competition right?

Last edited:
They claimed they were not the same. In fact they said they were thinking of working with them on a less expensive model but when they took apart the penguin they decided not to work with them. Actually told me I would have been better off buying an AC unit and making one myself, lol. I took it all with a grain of salt maybe the support dude was having a bad day or something.

I have the Ss chiller and have enjoyed using it thus far. Four batch’s in using it with their unitanks.

Good info. I’m sure the Ss unit is a fine piece of gear. I wish I could have talk to someone over there but there was no phone number. I did get to speak with the guy from Penguin and he told me (now like some of you said above, I take this with a grain of salt) that Ss contacted them to make this unit and for some reason they then decided to go with the Canadian outfit. He said that is why the Penguin and the Ss are so alike. They put a lot into the design so they decided to sell it on their own. He told me that they have an Ss unit at their plant and they plan to do a side by side comparison video soon to show that the Ss unit doesn’t push out the BTUs as advertised and their’s does. I know, the competition and all that. To be 100% honest I decided to go with the Penguin unit because it was over $200 less than the Ss unit. I also like the fact that it is made in the USA and it has a 1 year guarantee. They also sold the quick disconnect and the the silicone tubing. I did buy the Ss 14 gallon Unitank though and I am super psyched about putting that to good use. God bless anyone that has the knowhow to turn an air conditioner unit into one of these things. I’m not that inclined engineering wise. I wish I was. Thanks for all the replies. I will report on How the unit performs and I may be checking back in for advice on how to put it together and actually use it correctly so please bare with me brothers!! Cheers!!

Sorry to Hijack this but a couple of my friends and myself went in on a 2 bbl system to brew together. I am looking at a lower cost chiller that will get the job done. I can't decide if I should build one with a window unit or buy one new. Is this 1 HP chiller adequate enough for a 2 bbl fermenter and brite tank?

https://www.penguinchillers.com/product/1-hp-glycol-bath-chiller/

Sorry to Hijack this but a couple of my friends and myself went in on a 2 bbl system to brew together. I am looking at a lower cost chiller that will get the job done. I can't decide if I should build one with a window unit or buy one new. Is this 1 HP chiller adequate enough for a 2 bbl fermenter and brite tank?

https://www.penguinchillers.com/product/1-hp-glycol-bath-chiller/

Oh yes, w/o a doubt....more than enough for your usage.

There are obviously lots of factors to consider with a large purchase such as a chiller. I have had good experiences with Penguin water chillers, so my decision to own their glycol chiller was based on long term reliability with their products. Penguin makes water chiller systems we use on large commercial printing presses, and (knock on wood) Penguin chillers don't give us maintenance problems. I bought my Penquin glycol chiller as a pre-order last year and have used it continually with great results.

I happy so far with the 1/2 HP glycol chiller. Also if you have any questions Eric at Penguin has answers. They’ve helpful thus far for this newbie.

Oh yes, w/o a doubt....more than enough for your usage.

There are obviously lots of factors to consider with a large purchase such as a chiller. I have had good experiences with Penguin water chillers, so my decision to own their glycol chiller was based on long term reliability with their products. Penguin makes water chiller systems we use on large commercial printing presses, and (knock on wood) Penguin chillers don't give us maintenance problems. I bought my Penquin glycol chiller as a pre-order last year and have used it continually with great results.
Funny, my chiller started out life as a gluntz and jensen plate processor chiller thats was only used with water (machine was decommissioned)... I work as a field engineer for a large manufacturer, supplier of commercial, newspaper and digital printing equipment,
I dont even know if my chiller is large enough to be 1/2hp but has no problems controlling temps on all four stainless 12.5 gallon conicals (well 3 -12 and one 7.3g)

Funny, my chiller started out life as a gluntz and jensen plate processor chiller thats was only used with water (machine was decommissioned)... I work as a field engineer for a large manufacturer, supplier of commercial, newspaper and digital printing equipment,
I dont even know if my chiller is large enough to be 1/2hp but has no problems controlling temps on all four stainless 12.5 gallon conicals (well 3 -12 and one 7.3g)

Small world, indeed. As you well know how much demand is on a chiller, our large printing presses are outfitted with Penguin water chillers giving us a great deal of reliability. Since I am familiar with the Penguin product line, I was very comfortable selecting their glycol chiller based on their previous track record. Not taking anything at all away from Ss as I have a home brewery full of their top of the line equipment, and I'm sure Ss's Glycol Chiller would be exemplary.

Your point is well taken in that you don't really need a monster sized commercial chiller to run a typical (or even large) home brew setup. Even intermediate presses with big demands may only use 1 hp chillers. Having conversations with our rep at Penguin, the obstacle many small brewers have (like me) is that each fermenter has its own controller and associated pump in the reservoir. When there is no more space to fit in another pump, we have considered hitting capacity. There are ways to build manifolds with solenoids and the like, but this is potentially more advanced than many will choose.

Because my source cooling water (for the IC) is often in the mid 80's during the summer, I will transfer 90F wort to the fermenter and let the glycol chiller take it on down to fermenting temps. The recovery time becomes important with this process, and my 2 gallon reservoir with 33% glycol at 28F will rarely reach 40F when cooling wort in a 14G tank. If anyone wants real world reviews on the Penguin after a year of use, I'd give it a definite thumbs up.

Last edited:
Every small brewery I have visited so far uses a central pump/resevior with a manifold. I find it works well and is actually not really very complicated. It's cheaper to setup than individual pumps.

Small world, indeed. As you well know how much demand is on a chiller, our large printing presses are outfitted with Penguin water chillers giving us a great deal of reliability. Since I am familiar with the Penguin product line, I was very comfortable selecting their glycol chiller based on their previous track record. Not taking anything at all away from Ss as I have a home brewery full of their top of the line equipment, and I'm sure Ss's Glycol Chiller would be exemplary.

Your point is well taken in that you don't really need a monster sized commercial chiller to run a typical (or even large) home brew setup. Even intermediate presses with big demands may only use 1 hp chillers. Having conversations with our rep at Penguin, the obstacle many small brewers have (like me) is that each fermenter has its own controller and associated pump in the reservoir. When there is no more space to fit in another pump, we have considered hitting capacity. There are ways to build manifolds with solenoids and the like, but this is potentially more advanced than many will choose.

Because my source cooling water (for the IC) is often in the mid 80's during the summer, I will transfer 90F wort to the fermenter and let the glycol chiller take it on down to fermenting temps. The recovery time becomes important with this process, and my 2 gallon reservoir with 33% glycol at 28F will rarely reach 40F when cooling wort in a 14G tank. If anyone wants real world reviews on the Penguin after a year of use, I'd give it a definite thumbs up.

This is good info! The summer here in Delaware can be brutal as well. My tap water is around 75 degreesin the summer and I had to set up and whole ice water reservoir and sent that through the chiller with a second pump! I love that I can send 80-90 degree wort to the Unitank and chill it with the glycol prior to pitching.

IMG_1594.jpg
IMG_1614.jpg

I also love Ss BT stuff. This chiller was a few hundred less and for me the fact that is made in America with an American company made the difference.

This is good info! The summer here in Delaware can be brutal as well. My tap water is around 75 degreesin the summer and I had to set up and whole ice water reservoir and sent that through the chiller with a second pump! I love that I can send 80-90 degree wort to the Unitank and chill it with the glycol prior to pitching.

Oh yeah...I remember the days of getting wort down to 90F and then switching my IC over to a cooler filled with ice and water...PITA, LOL. The glycol chiller really is an amazing component of an advanced home brew system.

Every small brewery I have visited so far uses a central pump/resevior with a manifold. I find it works well and is actually not really very complicated. It's cheaper to setup than individual pumps.

Did you set up your home brewery with a system like this? I am at my capacity now with all the Ss pumps I can fit into the reservoir. If I ever add another tank, I'll have to go with a manifold.

Any suggestions on the items I'll need and a rough schematic?

THANKS!!

Did you set up your home brewery with a system like this? I am at my capacity now with all the Ss pumps I can fit into the reservoir. If I ever add another tank, I'll have to go with a manifold.

Any suggestions on the items I'll need and a rough schematic?

THANKS!!

I realize I'm replying a few months late, but this guide (intended audience is pro brewers) helped me build my homebrew glycol manifold:
https://www.probrewer.com/library/refrigeration/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-glycol/

Back