Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samandbekah

Reaction score
Hello,

My SS Brewtech FTSS temp probe corroded on my last batch. In fact it happened twice, my original one corroded and then I ordered a replacement (unfortunately you cannot replace just the probe, you have to buy the whole box again for $50 bucks - really crappy design imo!) and that one corroded as well and throws the temperature off by 100 + degrees.

I am extremely frustrated and wanted to know if any other homebrewers have had this issue with this unit. What I did notice was there was some water/condensation built up towards the bottom of the thermowell (when I pulled the probe out there was clearly condensation on it). Given that the probe appears to be stainless (assuming here) I was shocked to think that the little bit of water/sanitizer that was in there could destroy the unit and render it utterly useless - two times in a row!

Is it possible that the temp probe sitting in that small amount of water/sanitizer will destroy the sensor? Did the condensation get through the rubber housing/protection for the wires? Or is it just bad luck with these units?

Back