SS Brewtech Damage (scratches)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pac4life88

Reaction score
My wife got me a SS brewtech 7 gallon chronical for Christmas. I unboxed it this morning and was a bit shocked by the condition. The outside surface of the chronical was all scratched up. However my main concern is on the surface of where the connection of the chronical hooks up to the valve at the racking connection. This surface has a huge, deep scratch in it to the point in which i can feel it (see picture).

This point is still a concern for contamination because the beer will touch this surface. I'm a bit surprised that this $800 piece of equipment arrived in this condition. I have contacted their support asking for a replacement. I didn't hear back obviously because it's Christmas day.

Has anyone else has issues like this with SS? I thought they has a very good reputation, that's why this is so shocking. Am I in the right thinking that this type of damage is not acceptable?

20171225_115726.jpg

Any groove or scratch in a surface that contacts beer, has the potential to harbor contamination vectors. An ideal surface will not have those defects. In metal vessels, that implies that mirror smooth surfaces are best.

I note that even that mating surface has minor machining grooves that have the potential to harbor, so the damage that you point out isn't the only concern. Fortunately, I've found that typical brewery cleaners and sanitizers are sufficient to avoid contamination with that surface condition. But if you're concerned, buffing all surfaces to the brightest shine that you are willing to produce, is advised. I used a progressive series of wet/dry sandpaper followed with buffing and polishing compounds to produce a modest shine in my conical. But its still not mirror smooth.

Another thing to remember is that the nylon scrubby pads are very abrasive and they leave tiny scratches in stainless steel surfaces. I only physically clean with a sponge and plastic putty knife to remove all gross contamination, followed by caustic cleaners and sanitation.

It’s Christmas. I’m sure they’re closed so the employees can spend time with their families. And they are a legit company so I’m sure they will rectify the situation. Something probably got loose in the packaging and caused the scratching.

"Please call back when we are open."

Wait ss brewtech has an actual phone number now? They didnt when I purchased from them.. Had to do everything via email and wait till evening for responses when I asked them about it they stated not having one was one of the reasons they were able to keep costs down and they felt is simply wasnt needed in this day and age... I laughed because the whole reason I was dealing with them was to order conicals for a friend that he saw in a magazine (friend predates computers and has no desire to learn)

Last edited:
No. All through email. They have been very quick to response. My new unit was shipped today. They are only sending the main body, since it was the only part damaged. That's really nice that I dont have to bother trying to pack everything else back up.

Back