SS BrewTech Brew Bucket Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeXG4squGqg[/ame]

As I continue to upgrade some of my homebrewing equipment, I decided to pick up this stainless steel "Brew Bucket" conical fermenter from Ss Brewing Technologies. I have fermented beers in plastic buckets as well as plastic and glass carboys. While each of those works, I think I'm going to prefer the ease of use I will get from this conical stainless steel fermenter. This is the first of two that I plan to add to my brewery. I want a second one to use as a secondary fermenter!

Was just looking at these this morning, they look like a great compromise between plastic buckets and full conicals.

I have their 7 conical (chronical as they call it) along with their chiller, I love it so far. I christened it with a Pumpkin ale and having the bottom dump valve was awesome, I was able to dump the settled out pumpkin after 3 -4 days of sitting in the conical.

Is it possible to add a heating element to the temp controller with their system? So you could have it cool during the day and warm at night without swapping hot and cold water in the reservoir?

Is it possible to add a heating element to the temp controller with their system? So you could have it cool during the day and warm at night without swapping hot and cold water in the reservoir?

You would need to use a different temp controller then what comes with the system and use two pumps in two different coolers/tanks. One with ice water the other with a fish tank heater. Also, you'll need a check valve on each out line for the cooler to prevent cold water from going into the warm one and vice versus. You would need to build the temp controller to turn on the respective pump needed, either the pump in the cooler water or the pump in the warm water.

Where do you keep your fermenter that you have such a wild swing in temps? Usually if the feremnter is in a controlled temp area, you only need to supply cool water or warm water since the ambient temp around the conical is stable. Is yours in an unheated basement or out in a garage/shed?

I currently ferment in a chest freezer with a 2 stage temp controller, so I like having my temps dialed in both ways. I wouldn't be able to fit the chronical in the freezer so it would probably be in the garage/shed. I'm thinking it would probably be easier/cheaper to just add a tall collar to my chest freezer. My idea for the heating element was something like a heating wrap instead of a hot water being pumped through.

John, I'm digging the looks here. You've certainly steered me down the right path with kamado Joe's, do you have some pros/cons on this item to help a budding homebrew lover?

I would get something with a dump valve so you can go from kettle to conical to keg. I dump the break material 8 hours after pitch and dump the yeast a couple days after fermantation stops with confirmed FG. One vessel to clean.

I would get something with a dump valve so you can go from kettle to conical to keg. I dump the break material 8 hours after pitch and dump the yeast a couple days after fermantation stops with confirmed FG. One vessel to clean.

Yeah, that sure does sound like an easy process Dan, I pulled the trigger on 7 gal chronical with FTSs on Friday, can't wait!

Yeah, that sure does sound like an easy process Dan, I pulled the trigger on 7 gal chronical with FTSs on Friday, can't wait!

Congrats Freddy. Be sure to give the valves a good clean both open and closed. Also for harvesting yeast I have found it easiest to put the 1.5" X 0.5" barb on the dump valve with a 4" piece of clear tube. With the valve handle closed in the vertical up position you will draw off the bottom of the 1.5" elbow as you open downard. Watch the tube and dump into a dish until you see clean yeast then dump into a large sanitzed jar half full of pre boiled water. Once I have all the nice yeast I split it into 4 small jars. Cheers

Congrats Freddy. Be sure to give the valves a good clean both open and closed. Also for harvesting yeast I have found it easiest to put the 1.5" X 0.5" barb on the dump valve with a 4" piece of clear tube. With the valve handle closed in the vertical up position you will draw off the bottom of the 1.5" elbow as you open downard. Watch the tube and dump into a dish until you see clean yeast then dump into a large sanitzed jar half full of pre boiled water. Once I have all the nice yeast I split it into 4 small jars. Cheers

great info Dan, thanks! :rockin::rockin::rockin:

Back